when I tried to uninstall it I got errors. The same thing happened with the other two where I ended up with some plugins, which I will have to uninstall manually. What a waste of time.
"Plugin Uninstall: Manifest file invalid or not found."
If you install this (and probably other extenstions from this developer you ask for problems, because you will most likely have problem uninstalling properly.
The bottom line is - I wasted several hours of time and ended up with some crap left in my database...
1. After adding Blog Categories they do not show up on the category list when Adding New Blog (from Admin back-end)
2. On the front-end when adding New Blog there is no drop down list to select a Blog (but rather text field to type the category name), which makes no sense (nobody would remember several categories, and how to type in exact Category Name).
The only reason I did not give it all stars is that it needs some minor touches. For example there should be a CANCEL buttons on the New Ticket form, so the user can easily close it down. The docuemtnation should be improved. I would like to see mlike step by step scenario, as I have had some problems understanding how the other (than main) plugins work. I was not able to find a download links to extra plugins. anyway - it is still great! Thank you!
This extension is a must for everybody thinking about mobile site version.
- when installing I got errors, then second installation went through
- after installing everywhere I moved I was getting Error 500, table does no exist. When I tried to looked at the site's forum to search for some hints, I got bunch of errors on a search page
- looked up in a DOCs but the documentation is completely disorganized, and there is no even a page explaining the whole concept of this component, and how it works, so most of it is a guessing...
English language used has lots of styling errors and sometimes it is hard to understand what the author is talking about
- I watched a video tutorial which uses a yellow cursor covering underlying screen which makes it harder to see where the mouse is pointing. This tutorial although pretty informative is very chaotic and doesn't start from the ground up how to use the component. Instead it shows unnecessary topics on how to download the extension from the developer site (waste of time).
Terminology used in this component is also somewhat strange as most people, while working with databases use the concept of: DATABASE, COLUMN (or field), COLUMN TYPE, KEY/INDEX etc. some of the terms in Cobalt have to be guessed a lot.
- developer website is causing problems as well. Forum is hard to operate and I was not even able to post a message. Their system supposed to send a confirmation email, which I have never received...
The bottom line is: I wasted several hours trying this extension, but it was not worth it. Perhaps developer will take all this into consideration and do some improvements
I decided to remove it as it was useless and full of bugs
Sorry to hear about your experience with Cobalt.
The indication of missing tables points to a broken installation, which can be caused by a lot of reasons (broken installation file, permission problems on the server etc.)
We provide direct assistance through our support desk http://support.mintjoomla.com and even do the installation of our free component if someone experiences problems with it.
I am sure all this problems could have been easily resolved by reporting it to the support desk.
Your comment about the documentation is very valid and as indicated in our document section, after focusing on making the componet stable, documentation is now our priority.
In fact, over the last days we published several quite comprehensive articles for users who want to unleash the full power of Cobalt.
A demo site, which deeper explanation of fields and templates as well as examples are on the way as well.
Since I am the one who produced the criticized video, i have to apologize for my English. Unfortunately my native language is not English, but based on earlier feedback, it was quite well received by other watchers. Since the core Cobalt component is offered for free, we don't have the resources to hire professional speakers.
Your issue with the "yellow cursor" is based on the used screen recording software and is used in millions of tutorials worldwide.
We might consider your recommendation about our tutorial and split it into several steps, starting from downloading up to the actual usage (which is covered now in 1 video).
Since we are using some advanced technologies and a very complex database scheme, we try to simplify things for our users and don't want to confuse them with too technical terms. We follow the Joomla example here and using Section, Categories , Types and Fields. The average user will not need to know anything about SQL or database design. For the advanced user, we provide API access which will simplify the whole process of accessing data.
Something must have been wrong when you tried to post a message on our support desk, because since the start of it, we dont even require a registration to post there.
Sorry again for your experience, but if you experience some bugs, we would appreciate a detailed feedback (error message) to fix the problem and provide a better FREE solution to the Joomla community, as we hope the community will also to appreciate our time and efforts which went into this FREE component.
Thanks for your review.
I do recommend this extension !
There will be no such issues if you have gone through the documentation well espescially FAQs section.
I mean the issues you reported are not issues of my plugin.This is misconception for you as you are technically naive about joomla and still didnt read the documentation.
Hi, can you report any bugs found in the forum please, we do fix things when reported and I'm not aware of anything seriously wrong at the moment!
I'm sad for your trouble but without further information about your Joomla configuration
I cannot decide, whether your problems really originate from this extension. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. I tested install, uninstall and disable, extensively and they work fine with Joomla 1.5.x (including many third party extensions).
When you install the plugin the following things happen.
- It adds a recordset in the jos_plugins table of your database (name = User - SpambotCheck).
- It adds the plugin-files spambotcheck.php and spambotcheck.xml and the plugin-folder SpambotCheck in plugins/user in the filesystem of your joomla-installation.
- It adds the language-files en-GB.plg_user_spambotcheck.ini to the folder administrator\language\en-GB and (de-DE.plg_user_spambotcheck.ini in administrator\language\de-DE in case you have german language installed).
- In case you enabled the plugin-parameter "Log Spambot to DB", there will be a table jos_rk_spambot_attempts in your database. This table will only be created, if there have already been any spambot attacks.
You can get rid of the plugin when you delete these files and the recordset in jos_plugins (not very elegant I know, but it should at least be a fast solution of your problem).
Plugin screen prompt is part of the language-files. It's the 'USER_LOGIN_SPAM_TXT'.
Installed locally on my XAMPP server and it is not working (popuing up an error). also it would be nice to attach a country code list to the extension.
Thanks for the feedback. Though you have not provided the exact errors that you encountered on local setup, but a lot of times cURL is not enabled by default and that could lead to errors displaying.
We have released a new version for Joomla 2.5, if you try the same and still get any error message please feel free to contact me (email@example.com) and I will ensure that all issues are taken care of!