In order to have the XML manifest file 'pick up' your SQL install and uninstall files, as well as your install and uninstall php scripts, it's critical to follow these naming/directory conventions:
1) Create a directory in the admin, backend side of your component called install. For example administrator/components/com_yourcomponent/install
2) In the install directory from step 1, place your installation script in a file named install.yourcomponent.php
3) In the install directry from step 1, place your uninstallation script in a file named uninstall.yourcomponent.php
4) Create a directory in the admin, backend side of your component under the install directory from step 1 called sql. For example administrator/components/com_yourcomponent/install/sql
5) In the sql directory from step 4, place your utf8 sql install script in a file named install.utf8.sql
6) In the sql directory from step 4, place your utf8 sql uninstall script in a file named uninstall.utf8.sql
Easycreator does a WONDERFUL job of adhering to Joomla's recommended development methods for MVC, and I like that a lot. After finding out about these 6 steps above, I'm well on my way to developing a wonderful component with mootool and AJAX features sure to impress the client, and myself.
Best part of all: The Joomla specific development really wasn't that hard, thanks to Easy Creator, and the Joomla MVC component model. I HIGHLY recommend Easy Creator.