2. Do you expect that a paid component should work well out of the box?
3. Do you like to start working productively with a component just after installing it?
4. Do you like well documented software?
5. Do you like self-explanatory button labels, settings and hints in good english language quality?
6. Do you want to sell different resolutions and sizes of a picture and not only the original file size?
7. Do you expect 1 full month support when you buy a subscription for 1 month?
8. Do you like to see full functionality before purchasing a product?
9. Do you like to test a component with its settings, parameters and functions before buying it?
10. Do you like user forum where you can find answers and help?
If you say YES to any of these questions above, do not buy this product.
I installed DatsoGallery on two different servers of two different hosting providers in Switzerland and Germany, one with cPanel, one with Confixx. In both cases there was only a plain fresh standard version of joomla! installed plus one login module (rizlogin), I used only the joomla! standard templates. In both cases I experienced exactly the same issues and troubles.
- At first you have to buy a subscription (1 month at least) and pay extra fee for payment system. So I had to pay in the end 21,07 for a one month subscription of 20.00.
- The component did not work after installing. It was not possible to upload any picture. The support said it was because of a jQuery conflict between DatsoGallery and rizlogin. Would be nice if there were any FAQ or knowledge base for cases like that. That could have saved many hours or even days of standstill and waiting.
- There is no knowledge base
- There is no documentation
- The FAQ section is poor (only 3 questions and all of them are about paying and downloading products)
- The Tooltipps were not displayed correctly on Joomla! standard template JA_Purity. They did not work at all.
- Also the modules DG Ultimate Module and DG Slideshow did not work well: some parameters did not behave as expected (for example the "count" parameter): the number of displayed images did not match the number entered in "count", the slideshow started at unexpected position (7 of 16 ... though it contained only 10 pictures!) and displayed wrong numbers.
- You must contact support via ticketsystem (no eMail support)
- After writing a support ticket a lot of patience and trust is required: you must grant the developer Andrey Gatso admin access to your joomla site as well as ftp access to your server so that he can fix everything
- All in all it took 14 days and lots of hours of testing, reporting issues and waiting for answers and bugfixing until all worked and ran the way it should be. Still I miss some important things:
- The english language version is poor and in some cases misleading or even wrong. So you have to ask the support for each "how to do" and every unclear word. Example: the button next to the dropdown selection menu of the resolutions says "Download original image without watermark" but this is not the real function of that button! In reality this button simply lets you download the image in the selected size (not always original size and not always without watermark, that depends on settings!)
- You cannot protect small or medium images neither watermark them, because the developer thinks that they "have no value".
- The online demonstration Gallery shows online functionality of free downloads. Do not make the mistake to believe that you will meet the same functionality when you want to sell your pictures!
- If you provide FREE downloads of your images, the user can select the size of the downloaded picture (6 hard coded sizes are available). But if you want to SELL your images, nobody can select size anymore. The moment you enter a price for a picture, the dropdown selection list for size disappears and only one button appears. The Tooltipp starts with the word "This image is paid ..." which is obviously wrong because nobody did pay anything at that moment so far. This is the first irritating issue of the shop function. I asked the developer which size the paid downlad will be. Answer: "The originals, I think."
- Browsing/navigating through the gallery is somewhat long-winded, especially in large galleries with many categories and subcategories and cannot be customized.
- The last four facts above are not mentioned anywhere in the demo gallery, nor can they be seen or testet anywhere before purchasing. You learn them only after purchasing (or in this review).
- After the developer "fixed" some issues on my site, he was the "owner" of all my recent picture categories. I asked him how to change the owner of a category so that I can get my categories back. The answer: "Do not complicate it, just remove all images and categories, after create categories from your name and re-upload images."
- I wanted to know how he fixed some of the issues. The answer: "You do not need to know these details."
- The support did not answer all my questions.
- Some answers of the support are very hard to understand and on the other side I often had the impression that he did not understand me. It seems to me like the support does not really know english. That makes communication hard and time expensive.
- After confrontating the developer with his deficits and my discontent, he refused to support me anymore and tried to force me to never use his products ever again. I paid for 1 month support but he canceled that after 2 weeks, did refund my money, deleted my account and blocked my IP. I did not ask for money back, he just kicked me out instead of providing good support and trying to understand and satisfy his customer. That is worst business practice.
Thanks for the "excellent" review and evaluation, but I sincerely hope that you'll find in the ranks of Joomla Extensions a gallery that will be relevant to the functional of shutterstok or istockphoto you are strongly demanded from me after you made the payment for the subscription. All my products are released "AS IS" and requiring that you think the "missing" functionality, I repeat, it is absolutely unacceptable and immoral.
It's like you bought the MacBook, and the next day return to the seller with the requirements to exchange MacBook to MacBook Pro for the same price, because you think that the MacBook is incomplete.
I have a refutation for almost everything that you said here, but I have not enough time to fighting with you.
And finally, my last name is Datso.
All the best.