The only downside I think it has is its future. I want to expand the features for my visitors and users, but there are just not enough developers that work on plug ins for new versions or even just develop plugins.
I probably am going to switch to another community extention, because I already cant find plugins which I want to use.
Regarding future, past performance should be key indication for future:
- CB has been around since before Joomla
- Joomlapolis just hit 300'000 members
- there are over 150 CB related extensions on JED alone (see link above to see them)
- we just released CB 1.2.2 and there is a major revision 2.0 being developed full time by a full-time team, as well as many new plugins coming
- we prefer releasing well-tested quality extensions less often:
See our 2010 plan here: http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/8093/1/
- For CB 1.2.x, you may want to take a look at templates from Joomlapolis.com or third-party commercial template developers providing templates for CB community sites.