I came across this component a few days ago. I downloaded the free component first and installed it on Joomla 1.6 after I've already played quite a bit with Joomla's ACL settings. I had difficulties making it work right and getting proper display behaviors within the component itself. Frustrated I started from scratch on a fresh Joomla install. What do you know, it was my own Joomla settings that were messing with things. The component worked as it was supposed to. After the practice run and a clean Joomla install things worked just beautifully. The developer is quite clever in a way he maxed out the benefits of the original Joomla permissions and then added to it. I would think that Joomla should take a similar strategy in treatment of content ownership. Perhaps a couple more default groups are missing from Joomla which would deal with content author/owner. In teh end it turned out that I only required careful and minimal tweaks to component's ACL to achieve very complex behaviors.
- main component is free (though it really shouldn't be)
- easy install
- wealth of configuration settings and options
- stable behavior and good integration with Joomla
- extendible - I ended up purchasing the full bundle and was pleased with modular nature of upgrades. Additions were easy to install, integrate and control. File management pro extension was well worth the money.
- Partial documentation. Available documentation is excellent, but is incomplete. It did seem that was something that was actively worked on though.
Be patient with this component as ACL is a complex and messy concept by nature and isn't straightforward to set. Plan out carefully what you want done. Allow time to play with settings to figure stuff out and then start from scratch if needed.
I am certain to stick with this extension for a number of projects. Kudos to the developer for a job well done.