I understand you can't get everything right the first time, especially for such a big upgrade of such a complex product. And I understand this product is free, which is great! But I'm having a very hard time explaining all the problems to my clients. And would be happy to pay for support if the option is available.
Please don't ask people to upgrade when this product is not finished. This should still be in a development stage. And causes major headaches in any production environment.
So think twice before using this plugin, or wait another year if possible.
Hello nuntius, thanks for your feedback. A version vm1.5 was never officially released. I think you mean vm1.1.5? It took us some time to find your 2 posts in the forum. I am quite sure that there was just a misconfiguration, but we work on it so that it is easier to configure, for more read here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=100330.msg372778#msg372778
The component virtuemart 2 is really very big and has a lot complex features. Most people use only 30% of the features, but of course all people have different 30%. So your problem was just not considered as important for most people. Anyway a fix is on the way, you may read my answer in the forum here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=105773.msg370755#msg370755.
And please consider. The JED is not the correct place to push bugs you wanna have fixed. Virtuemart 2 is a project, not a product. Consider how you can help the project. Thank you.