1. Make sure your hosting company allows php.ini access.
2. If you run on a vps then you are already ahead of the game.
3. Don't join a template company just for their jomsocial template. Chances are it wont be updated with the next jomsocial release. (quarterly)
4. Custom profiles are not available and the majority of us don't care for it. Please don't whine about when the developers will fit your custom needs.
5. Learn how to build a community. It's time consuming and can cost money especially for a niche market. Forum building is a good tool.