Eshop has grown fast and impressively, considering it's one of the newest e-commerce joomla extensions, therefore i decided to give it a try.
However, after testing this extension i realised that it still needs some important additions and improvements.
I believe this cart has a strong potential to reach the top, but at the moment is still immature. Here are the Pros and Cons i found:
1. Eshop provided a smooth installation experience and integrated well in my bootstrap framework template.
2. Front-end has a clean, good looking interface, and both built-in viewing functions (Zoom image and list-grid view) are very useful.
3. Understandable and easy to manage back-end especially for new administrators who want to avoid complicated settings and overrides.
4. SEO friendly, althought i still didn't check it with the online seo tools but it has all the functions including metadata and integrated social web solution.
5. Has a very understandable and flexible taxation system, able to apply even multiple taxes to a product and even divide it to several customer types (groups)
6. All the basic functions are included in the main extension package (coupons, vouchers, wishlist, comparison, reviews, currencies etc) for which in many other similar extensions you have to pay. Moreover, with other extensions you might have to install several additional plugins, and i guess some people (like me) hate to fill up their back-end with hundrends of plugins..
7. The affordable price of the extension package.
1. Creation custom fields is not possible
2. Product copy function doesn't exist in order to help creation of similar products easily. So when you have a range of products with similar options and attributes, you have to create them over and over again, all manualy. Same about the attributes and options, no copy function.
3. Options and different product's attributes are not syncronized with the stock. Having one product with different varieties cannot be posted as a single record since there is currently no possibility to display it's availability for each variety through the shopping process, but only during checkout. This is the main reason i will probably not use Eshop although i purchased it, since i have alot of products varieties but each one with different stock availability.
4. Documentation is ok but could be more detailed since it only provides basic explanations. I didn't use the support tickets, so i cant really speak about developer's support, but i posted a few forum topics and i have to say it's not very helpful. Developer is polite and willing to help, but sometimes his reply is more or less simply "that's they way it is". However i think that's fair enough since the extension already offers many features for its price.
5. Some back-end features are tiring to input, such as the "similar products" for which you have to select them one by one from a drop down list, or the "options / attributes" which you have to manualy type in text fields each time you create a new product. No feature for product's attributes to be automatically applied to a selected category or group of products.
6. There is currently no solution for applying batch discounts or price increases according to the products categories or customer groups. There is a customer's groups creation feature which simplifies things, but still you have to manualy input everything one by one to all products.
7. Suppliers and Product categories in Eshop only exist for hosting the products and for menus structure, although they generally need to be associated with more options, taxes, discounts etc. If for example one of the shop's suppliers inceases his prices on a later time, there should be the possibility to automatically apply this % to all the related products associated with this supplier.
8. It provides a basic ability to display different prices according to the quantity of products purchased (e.g $5 for ordering one piece and $4 for ordering at least 5 pieces), but this function doesn't work when the displayed product has different priced options to choose from, because it is not dynamically updated according to the option selection.
In general, this extension didn't meet my expectations.
What i wish to mention in this review, is that i spent the last 2 days checking most of Joomlack extensions (i started with Kwickmenu), just because i din't know these guys and i was curious.
I don't know if i'm allowed to comment the developer in such a review, but even if these guys are called "JoomLack", they don't have Lack of skills, and they realy worth to be supported to continue what they do. Not only because they offer their extensions for free, but also because they are extremely promising.
More helpfull enviroment would be appreciated to the user for modifying the appearence since it's not easy, but the extension is free.
Since the native developer's language is Russian, i believe we should help these guys to translate in other laguages, because this extension worths it, and it will become more useful and popular.
Thanks for the tip! It would be nice to translate the component into other languages! Send language packs if there vozomzhnost.
According to my needs, it lacks two important functions:
1. The ability to popup a youtube video wich will be displayed just as a link.
2. The possibility to customise the displayed video titles, which is something important if you want to give more specific information to your visitors, or use another language.