- PHP 5.x and above
- MySQL 4.x and above
- Joomla 1.5 & Joomla 1.6 native support
Restricted support for PHP 4.x and MySQL 3.x for the core component, but no guarantee for the migration/update process. This module is only handling IPv4 networks and not officially IPv6!
Few things you should know
- After installation, you have to run a Post-Installation process. That´s not because we want it that way, it´s more about getting control about issues with huge databases.
- Do not assign the j4age component to a menu item even if a link is shown up in your admin page for selection. The component itself has no public front-end part and you will see only a error message!!
- Most people install the activation module, but do not enable it or do assign it to a location, which is actually not used in their template like "left". Make sure, that you can see the Module title on your webpage, before hiding the title! Only then statistics are captured!
- An activation module must be set to "public" access, if you want to count all visits. If you set it to "registered" or "special" you would only count those visits
- If the module does not work, you can also download & install as alternative the activation plugin.
- Some people are complaining, that the activation module is not completely invisible on the webpage as a empty border is draw on the page. That´s because your template is adding styles, so simply try to find another active position, where the template is not adding styles. (As alternative use just the activation plugin)
Good to know
- j4age includes a migration mechanism to convert the existing JoomlaStats Version (until 3.0.4) to j4age
- j4age is collecting over the time alot of information, please keep in eye on your DB size
j4age is not Google Analytics, so please do not try to compare us one to one to them. Unlike Google Analytics we are open source and you can review our algorithms. It is hard to differentiate bots from regular visitors, especially as they try to pretend to be regular visitors. We have applied many advanced algorithms to get it under control and this will result into slightly different results between Google Analytics and us.
We will improve the "Cache" / History feature, so that you can drop data from the database without losing information on the Summary pages. We currently operating in a similar way, but a refectoring of the algorithms are required.
We also work further more advanced features, but more details are provied 2012.
*************** ATTENTION *****************
If you experience any problems, please contact us first on the j4age webpage!!
If you use j4age, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla
Now we're upgrading to Joomla 3 - wishing there was a j4age J3 version
Thank you. Collecting data is always a process, that will impact the database. We already included a feature in the maintenance area to drop old data, but have started 1 year ago with an additional process to drop data whilst keeping the statistick reports. Version for J3 will come, but I cannot say if it takes few weeks or even 1-2 more month
Good work ...
Thank you, we are looking into getting it working for 3.0. Too much is going on right now and we are trying to catch up
I have just installed the component and plugin, remember the plugin!! in 5 minutes and already it has picked up a bot.
Straight out of the box and working. Great work by the developers, thanks :-)
The installation and upgrade process can be a bit quirky at times but that is to be expected with the amounts of data involved.
The 2 stage installation process may confuse some and on old sites which have been migrated from J1.0 to J1.5 to J2.5 problems have been encountered.
On a busy site it will store a lot of data but the ability to choose and remove historic data is without doubt to be welcomed.
The interface may confuse some as some of the views are similar but different.
The ability to classify a visitor as a bot has helped increase the accuracy of the statistics when comparing them with Google analytics.
Yes there are minor issues but in our experience there is nothing even close and we would not like to think about managing our sites without it.
Only one thing.
Is it possible in the "additional details" (of "last visit") to supplement "Path info" fields such as Full URL with querry, and perhaps jform_params_page_heading (which is not always visible to the user, but the administrator has a value), and accordingly expand the information window or add the ability to display full-size in a new window.
Thank you and good luck in the future!
Thanks for your help
Because there is no registration required to be able to access the download area. Just click "Downloads" > "Component" (Within the article) and select the package for your Joomla version
Error building Admin Menus
It does not appear on the components and as soon as I activate it or deactivate it in the Extension Manager I also get another error which is a MySQL error and it barely deactivates half the time.
Joomla 1.7 is completely different,but this needs to be fixed.
You need to install the newest Joomla version. There are bugs within the old versions of Joomla
you should report errors to us directly, if something is not working for you before posting messages hear.
There is a drop old data functionality within the maintenance area as well as a "Uninstall" button, which also deletes all j4age tables.
The performance should be not effected as long as you do not show statistics data on your public webpage. If you do so, then you have to carefully use the module parameters e.g. enabling caching. You need to decide how far backwards you like to present data => more days => more performance lost.
Some people can do just few days other can show the whole year and more.
As Administrator you need to keep an eye on the database size and drop too old data as you need. So look into the DB at least every year once - this is not a tool for unprofessionals, even if we try to make it as easy as possible.
Unfortunately, some functions don't work anymore since J!1.7.2/1.7.3. I submitted bug reports and received the reply that the issues are currently being worked at but that was months ago and the last update was more than half a year ago, so it seems that the extension is not really actively being developed and maintained any more.
That's really a pity because IMHO it's among the best free J! statistics extensions!
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. Currently we indeed face some delays as have not enough resources and we would appreciate any developer, who likes to assist us in this open source project. There are already some nice new features in Beta status and we are looking forward to release them asap. Stay tuned!
Installation was very easy.
The amount of information that this module gives and the quality of the presentation is sincerely impresive.
I was not using really statistics information about my site as I was using plesk-stat, and I had to go to my server control panel, the presentation was a little unpleasant. Now I've got all this information inside Joomla, only one place to login, and hope to be able to concentrate more in site optimisation.
One of those Joomla components that I will keep using for sure.