- PHP 5.x and above
- MySQL 4.x and above
- Joomla 1.5 & Joomla 1.6 native support
Restricted support for PHP 4.x and MySQL 3.x for the core component, but no guarantee for the migration/update process. This module is only handling IPv4 networks and not officially IPv6!
Few things you should know
- After installation, you have to run a Post-Installation process. That´s not because we want it that way, it´s more about getting control about issues with huge databases.
- Do not assign the j4age component to a menu item even if a link is shown up in your admin page for selection. The component itself has no public front-end part and you will see only a error message!!
- Most people install the activation module, but do not enable it or do assign it to a location, which is actually not used in their template like "left". Make sure, that you can see the Module title on your webpage, before hiding the title! Only then statistics are captured!
- An activation module must be set to "public" access, if you want to count all visits. If you set it to "registered" or "special" you would only count those visits
- If the module does not work, you can also download & install as alternative the activation plugin.
- Some people are complaining, that the activation module is not completely invisible on the webpage as a empty border is draw on the page. That´s because your template is adding styles, so simply try to find another active position, where the template is not adding styles. (As alternative use just the activation plugin)
Good to know
- j4age includes a migration mechanism to convert the existing JoomlaStats Version (until 3.0.4) to j4age
- j4age is collecting over the time alot of information, please keep in eye on your DB size
j4age is not Google Analytics, so please do not try to compare us one to one to them. Unlike Google Analytics we are open source and you can review our algorithms. It is hard to differentiate bots from regular visitors, especially as they try to pretend to be regular visitors. We have applied many advanced algorithms to get it under control and this will result into slightly different results between Google Analytics and us.
We will improve the "Cache" / History feature, so that you can drop data from the database without losing information on the Summary pages. We currently operating in a similar way, but a refectoring of the algorithms are required.
We also work further more advanced features, but more details are provied 2012.
*************** ATTENTION *****************
If you experience any problems, please contact us first on the j4age webpage!!
If you use j4age, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla
So I went to look for another web statistics extension. And j4age is really perfect. If you do not want to nothing will be shown on your webpages. Nevertheless the statistics and graphics in the back-end are really excellent. And when you have been using joomstats, j4age will upload these data from the database during the installation procedure.
It is so easy. When you are only intereste din nice features in the back-end, j4age is worth trying.
The deserve financial support that is for sure!
The presentation is also very good too. I have google analytics installed but always not 100% trust the data, now I can reconcile the two.
It is very easy to install and activate. Had no problems at all importing my existing statistical records from JoomlaStats. A very smooth transition.
Had a slight issue with the component and lodged a question via their website and was extremely pleased to receive an email response within minutes. Several email exchanges later and the problem was isolated. This is service at the highest level.
With this level of support, I am sure that this product will continue to develop and surpass the high standards already set.
Gives exacly what we want: statistics!
Allmost very easy to install. (was a bit confusing with two times a database setup. I thought I did something wrong. Whatever menu item I select, it went straight to the setup, which is good. But the menu didn't show this)
And there is a tiny spelling error in tools -> Extensions -> Export: "selcected"
I would personally change "Systems" into "Operating systems".
What could this extension do more to beat itself? Nothing except a mailing function. Every xx days it could send a report with the statistics. This would enhance functionality greatly!
it is unfortunately for us not possible to get rid of the menu completely. The menu is generated by the Joomla standard and we can't switch if off without also hiding permanently the submenus below the top menu "Components->j4age".
The post-installation is a necessary step as we j4age supports and upgrade & update process unlike most of all other components. We have a huge DB with up to several hundreds of MB, which can't be handled within the regular Joomla installation.
We also would love to rephrase from "Systems" to "Operating Systems", but we are also trying to use the screen space as efficient as possible.
We have limited resources to implement all requested functionalities such as email notifications, but we are hoping some of the users are investing some time to provide us such a solution by taking advantage of the extension mechanism.
I've had an issue while installing, that when I went to the component's area, none of the pages were working and instead a message saying "Upgrade of version 188.8.131.52 beta to 184.108.40.206 beta - Step 1 of 3 - 2 Steps remaining to 220.127.116.11 beta" was displayed at the top of the page.
I've contacted support service and within a few minutes the whole situation was resolved. All you need to do is to press "Execute Block" to run the Post-Installation. The button is in the upper right corner. (You will need to run the "Execute Block" second time after the first one is finnished)
They assured me that it will be reworked currently to prevent future confusions...
The confusing post-installation process was reworked an the new version presents itself more clear and comfortable. Thanks for the Feedback!
It is easy to upgrade from JoomlaStats to J4age and still keep all of the statistics you have collected!
J4age has several improvements, such as:
* Better exclusion of IPs
* More accurate presentation of countries and web browsers
* It's own extension system
* Better presentation/navigation/filtering in general and better graphs
* Much more "minor" things
+ I have submitted a few bug reports, all bugs so far have been squashed.
+ The developers reply quickly to questions.
+ The development is quick in comparison to most other Joomla extensions.
+ The upgrade system is really smart.
- Nothing so far.
If you are interested in site statistics, this is (imo) the best you can get for Joomla at the moment.
My recommendation is to upgrade to J4age if you are currently using JoomlaStats.