- PHP 5.x and above
- MySQL 4.x and above
- Joomla 1.5 & Joomla 1.6 native support
Restricted support for PHP 4.x and MySQL 3.x for the core component, but no guarantee for the migration/update process. This module is only handling IPv4 networks and not officially IPv6!
Few things you should know
- After installation, you have to run a Post-Installation process. That´s not because we want it that way, it´s more about getting control about issues with huge databases.
- Do not assign the j4age component to a menu item even if a link is shown up in your admin page for selection. The component itself has no public front-end part and you will see only a error message!!
- Most people install the activation module, but do not enable it or do assign it to a location, which is actually not used in their template like "left". Make sure, that you can see the Module title on your webpage, before hiding the title! Only then statistics are captured!
- An activation module must be set to "public" access, if you want to count all visits. If you set it to "registered" or "special" you would only count those visits
- If the module does not work, you can also download & install as alternative the activation plugin.
- Some people are complaining, that the activation module is not completely invisible on the webpage as a empty border is draw on the page. That´s because your template is adding styles, so simply try to find another active position, where the template is not adding styles. (As alternative use just the activation plugin)
Good to know
- j4age includes a migration mechanism to convert the existing JoomlaStats Version (until 3.0.4) to j4age
- j4age is collecting over the time alot of information, please keep in eye on your DB size
j4age is not Google Analytics, so please do not try to compare us one to one to them. Unlike Google Analytics we are open source and you can review our algorithms. It is hard to differentiate bots from regular visitors, especially as they try to pretend to be regular visitors. We have applied many advanced algorithms to get it under control and this will result into slightly different results between Google Analytics and us.
We will improve the "Cache" / History feature, so that you can drop data from the database without losing information on the Summary pages. We currently operating in a similar way, but a refectoring of the algorithms are required.
We also work further more advanced features, but more details are provied 2012.
*************** ATTENTION *****************
If you experience any problems, please contact us first on the j4age webpage!!
If you use j4age, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla
It is easy to upgrade from JoomlaStats to J4age and still keep all of the statistics you have collected!
J4age has several improvements, such as:
* Better exclusion of IPs
* More accurate presentation of countries and web browsers
* It's own extension system
* Better presentation/navigation/filtering in general and better graphs
* Much more "minor" things
+ I have submitted a few bug reports, all bugs so far have been squashed.
+ The developers reply quickly to questions.
+ The development is quick in comparison to most other Joomla extensions.
+ The upgrade system is really smart.
- Nothing so far.
If you are interested in site statistics, this is (imo) the best you can get for Joomla at the moment.
My recommendation is to upgrade to J4age if you are currently using JoomlaStats.
I originally used and installed the JoomlaStats component, but after few month I realized how worseless the information are captured. Even the reports were not really helpful.
However, I installed this fantastic component and I am impressed.
- The component installed itself seemless
- The upgrade functionality has migrated all JoomlaStats data to j4age
- The reports are well reworked and finally do allow me to analyse the traffic.
I reviewed the data after the upgrade and I have to say this this nice component fixed many issues within the existing statistic data. From 100.000 records about system / browser information, it has fixed at least 30% of the records. Since the upgrade, the version numbers are the systems are shown correctly, systems like IPhone are not shown as Linux, mobile phones are displayed, ...
Even the activation module works extremly faster with my big database like it did on the first day.
Btw. I also use Google Analytics, which is pretty good in getting a general overview about the traffic. However, i would definetely recommend to install this component in addition as you can see exactly what every visitor has done on your page, things you can't do with Google.
Looking forward to see what you guys do next! Great Job, thank you for this extension!