sh404sef also includes many security features.
sh404SEF® id the most popular and longest developed Joomla seo extension. We are dedicated, full-time Joomla professionals who work each and every day to bring you the very best extensions and prompt support. Our staff have over 20 years of combined experience with Joomla (and Mambo) and we maintain some of the longest, continually developed Joomla add-ons available.
* sh404SEF rewrites Joomla URL to user-friendly format (SEF URL or URL rewriting): mysite.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=69&id=34
* NEW: Google Analytics Universal support
* NEW: Google Tags manager support
* NEW: full support for Google rel="prev" and rel="next" header tags, to improve SEO of paginated content
* NEW: built in caching database layer, can speed up sh404SEF and Joomla database operation. Backed by memcache, APC, etc
* Create and insert Open Graph data
quickly and easily add social media buttons to your entire site to allow sharing on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.
* Integrated Google Analytics including support for social sharing
* Automatically generate tiny URLs (shURLs) for your content
* Full urls and bulk meta data management
* Easily redirect 404s to suggested SEF URLS
* Instantly add global support for canonical URLs (add rel="canonical" HTTP headers)
* Remove duplicate URLs, a common problem with Joomla websites
* Create human ear and search engine friendly (SEF) URLs
* Control URL re-write mode on a per-application basis
* Support for Google News URL format
* Easily customize the page title and page description with bulk updater
* Create customized error pages (i.e. 404) with relevant links and other info
* Harden against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS)
* Harden against malicious page requests
* Limit flooding attacks
* Protect input forms such as the contact page from spam (using Project Honey Pot)
* Control site access from suspicious domains (using IP address whitelisting and blacklisting)
We Support many third-party SEF plugins via the standard Joomla installer.
Components we support natively include: VirtueMart, K2, FlexiContent, Kunena, Jomsocial, Community Builder, mosetsTree and more.
- There is not enough direction on implementation. There is zero hand-holding and zero safety nets. The extension won't *necessarily* take down your site, but if you screw up at all (like I did), it has the power to wipe-out even an established site. In that case, there may be no quick fix. I have spent upward of two months trying to restore the first site I installed this on.
- The UI could do a lot to help with implementation. There is no built-in help in the UI. In some cases, it can be buggy and misleading. Instead of focusing on making the core product easier to use, the UI is cluttered with worthless add-ons that any webmaster will already have (i.e. analytical and firewall functions).
- Support is middling. Perhaps they are overwhelmed because the rough UI generates lots of stupid questions, but they always seem to be looking to get rid of you. The most prominent example is that each support ticket requires a litany of configuration information that is almost never relevant.
I plan to use the extension on all new sites going forward, but the learning curve is steep and buyers should approach with caution.
Installed and worked fine without having to do nothing strange, only the basic setup.
Also it is very simple to create an extension for a component that does not support sh404sef.
At last I want to remark the quick technical support.
- much easier to use
- less complicated options
- good value for money
- good support service
As with any SEF component, you might have occasional issues with 3rd party software, however solutions to these issues are available in the forums.
It is possible that depending on the extensions involved and the site design, a performance penalty may occur. If it goes beyond 10-20%, then you got a setup issue, and you should contact support to get you sorted out.
When using the built in cache system, especially the memcache backend, you can actually expect performance increase, as sh40SEF does not need to rebuild the full SEF url each time, as Joomla does, but can get it from cache almost instantly.
Note that the sh404SEF cache can also optionnally be enabled to provide caching for ALL Joomla database operation (ie: non-sh404SEF related), thus further speeding up the site.
I did 2 clean new installations and gave the sh404sef a try in Joomla 3. In both cases it caused errors and conflicts with other updated (paid) extension with sh404sef enabled. The support for the issues I had was that it could be this could be that, if you like to know we have to copy your website on our servers and please use our premium support at 75 usd hour.
For me having built websites with other sef extensions and the sh404sef, currently no more paid sef components for me, too much hassle, useless costs and an increase for errors conflicts with other extensions. Then also the need for the periodical updates of these sef component for which you need a (paid) current membership.... and for what, most sef functions are now standard in Joomla 3, and a paid extension really does NOT improve your ranking.
First, thanks for using sh404SEF for several years!
As someone who's very familiar with Joomla SEF, I have to say I'm a bit surprised by your statement that basically one doesn't need sh404SEF because SEF is good enough in Joomla 3 compared to what it was in Joomla 1.5
The reason I'm surprised is because there was no change in Joomla 3 SEF system, and there was also no change in Joomla 1.6,1.7 and 2.5 SEF system.
The SEF system was created in Joomla 1.5, and was never modified. It's still based today on menu items, generate duplicate content and create lengthy urls as soon as an item is not directly linked for a menu. Please just install sh404SEF on a standard Joomla 3, and go check the "duplicates" column to see for yourself.
In case of conflicts, we need to figure out which extension is causing the real issue - it's not because the issue appears when sh404SEF is switched on that it is causing the problem!!!. On extreme cases, this may require custom work.
We can always discuss the pros and cons of paid vs free extensions. Many people (see other reviews) appreciate having someone to rely upon when needed but most importantly like that extensions are still there and actively developed and updated to changing environment: search engines, Analytics, Facebook or twitter API changes for instance - by the way, Facebook has an API breaking change on July 10. sh404SEF will be updated accordingly, don't worry.
I have used almost more then 1000 extensions of joomla. bt this is the worst of worst extension.
No, sh404SEF will not destroy your site, your ranking and all the rest, including slowing down your site.
Extreme slowness is usually linked to misconfiguration, and we'd be very happy to fix that if you were to contact support.
Roughly a month ago I activated sh404SEF with .htaccess. It's an excellent component and does exactly what it has to do.
Activating SEF does of course rewrite all the urls and this can create problems.
Thanks to jimie's great help, who made a visit on my site, these problems could be solved.
Perhaps a suggestion which might allow sh404SEF to be event better as it already:
To take care also of the various components, plugins which are not SEF compatible.
Of course sh404SEF will not be able to rewrite these urls...but lets say offering options being able using these non sef urls perhamps in META etc.
Just a suggestion which might help to enhance the offer.
Please note that you have to spend some time to read the manual and FAQ. If you have something special like a multilingual site you have to spend even more time in learning how you can configure it.
For me the most important thing for a commercial component is the support. The support here is very very customer-oriented and helpful. Additionally you get very fast answers.
Recently, when launching a new site (had to start from scratch) I had a couple of issues with things not working the way they had in the older version of Joomla - all resolved quickly via their support forum!
Very happy and would recommend this to anyone.
As with a previous reviewer, it is unfortunate that you didn't try to contact us for support.
An extension that multiply page load time by 8 is not acceptable and would have disappeared from the Joomla! world a long time ago.
In the case of that recent reviewer, he was not using the appropriate setting for his forum sef urls. After he posted his review we had a quick discussion on our support forum, to clear the issue.
I'd only like again to invite you to do the same and I'm sure we can figure out what's happening on your site.