sh404sef also includes many security features.
sh404SEF® id the most popular and longest developed Joomla seo extension. We are dedicated, full-time Joomla professionals who work each and every day to bring you the very best extensions and prompt support. Our staff have over 20 years of combined experience with Joomla (and Mambo) and we maintain some of the longest, continually developed Joomla add-ons available.
* sh404SEF rewrites Joomla URL to user-friendly format (SEF URL or URL rewriting): mysite.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=69&id=34
* NEW: Google Authorship support
* NEW: Twitter Cards support
* NEW: Google Analytics Universal support
* NEW: Google Tags manager support
* NEW: all output through JLayout, easily override in template
* full support for Google rel="prev" and rel="next" header tags, to improve SEO of paginated content
* built in caching database layer, speeds up sh404SEF. Backed by memcache, APC, etc
* Create and insert Open Graph data
quickly and easily add social media buttons to your entire site to allow sharing on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Linkedin and Pinterest.
* Integrated Google Analytics including support for social sharing
* Automatically generate tiny URLs (shURLs) for your content
* Full urls and bulk meta data management
* Easily redirect 404s to suggested SEF URLS
* Instantly add global support for canonical URLs (add rel="canonical" HTTP headers)
* Remove duplicate URLs, a common problem with Joomla websites
* Create human ear and search engine friendly (SEF) URLs
* Control URL re-write mode on a per-application basis
* Support for Google News URL format
* Easily customize the page title and page description with bulk updater
* Create customized error pages (i.e. 404) with relevant links and other info
* Harden against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS)
* Harden against malicious page requests
* Limit flooding attacks
* Protect input forms such as the contact page from spam (using Project Honey Pot)
* Control site access from suspicious domains (using IP address whitelisting and blacklisting)
We Support many third-party SEF plugins via the standard Joomla installer.
Components we support natively include: VirtueMart, K2, FlexiContent, Kunena, Jomsocial, Community Builder, mosetsTree and more.
Having had problems in replicating the URLs (and failure to do that could wipe my site off the map), I posed a question on the forum and had the answer within an hour or so.
This is a first-class product that does an excellent job despite having to work in conjunction with an ever-changing code-base at Joomla and in numerous third-party extensions.
What I don't like about this product is that you buy it, you contribute to the forums by asking questions, perhaps answering some and generally helping the company in developing the product through your feedback.
As soon as your subscription runs out, guess what, you have ZERO access to support let alone forums. The GREED of companies like this and JomSocial has become a terrible practice which is fast spreading throughout the Joomla third party developer community.
Joomla is a great CMS but all of the TPD's have become terribly greedy with their 3, 6 and 12 month subscriptions. For the average user, this will scare many away to other CMS's when they realize just how crazy expensive it can get to run a site these days.
That is not the spirit of the Internet and supporting these companies in only ensuring that this spirit will be lost to pure commercialization at some point soon.
I'm glad you like the extension itself, and sorry support was not to your liking. Reading your review however, I'm not sure this is your real problem.
We believe forum is an efficient method to provide support. Please read reviews above and below yours, and you'll see many people do appreciate it.
Yes, after subscription has expired, you don't have access to support. Not sure how it can be otherwise.
Please consider also that:
- coming from a totally free of charge background, I have always made sure sh404SEF price is kept as low as possible. For instance, it is currently less than half of other extensions you mentioned
- subscription to sh404SEF is all inclusive: no separate support, plugins, doc whatever
- no restriction on domains, even for support
- we only have 1 year subscription, no short ones
You might find it to be expensive to build a web site today, but that's not because of sh404SEF. I won't comment on the spirit of the internet, too large a thing to handle ;)
But please search for "selling free software" and you'll find a page where the GPL license author strongly encourage GPL developers to charge for their software as much as they can, so that GPL-licensed software grows and replaces proprietary products.
We have just changed that to ".. charge as little as we can...", I hope most people like it that way ;)
Not sure I really understand what you mean. Are you trying to acces a page byi its old, Joomla SEF url? Or only by using the article title? Have you set up either index.php or a htaccess file or equivalent?
I thinkn you have a basic web site setup, and you should use our tech support to get you fixed up.
WIth respect to support, everyone may have a different experience, and I'm sorry yours was not good, but I still want to say that the team has a pretty good track record, as is visible in the previous reviews.
I have just searched the forum as far back as Nov. 2011 and could'nt find any trace of unsolved such issue. Please contact us back if it was not solved in the mean time.
That said, IF you enable sh404SEF social buttons (include Facebook buttons, Twitter, G+), they cannot work together with other extensions providing the same buttons. You have to enable either one or the others. OF course, using sh404SEF social buttons will have benefits, such as "like", "Tweet" and "share" analytics reports right in your site backend, as sh404SEF Facebook buttons are automatically connected to Analytics.
The trouble with this process is that you post something, wait for an answer, try it. If if it doesn't work, post a response, ad nauseum. This model for supporting a product is exceptionally inefficient for the user. The user will spend a lot of his/her time.
On several occasions, alias settings and other parameters I didn't understand caused problems with the display of our website.
If you're a programmer with a great handle on Joomla and all its moving parts, you'll probably have no problem with this extension.
If you're a marketing or communications person just trying to modify page titles, descriptions, etc. for the purpose of improve search engine optimization, you'll struggle with this application.
The good news...it's only $39.
From your review, I can't understand why you're saying one need to be a programmer to use sh404SEF. sh404SEF is a Joomla! extension: you click on options and settings to make it work, programming is of course never required.
As for the settings and data entry, they are all SEO related, and almost zero relates to the way Joomla! operates.
You may have miss the online manual (/sh404sef/user-manual.html) and also the extensive tooltips next to each option, including Aliases.
It seems to me your biggest gripes has to do with us using a forum to handle support requests. I can understand you'd prefer sometimes talk directly to someone, but if you quickly browse through the last 10 or 20 reviews below, you'll find that the largest majority of users actually find a forum, and most importantly the way our team operate the forum, not only good but a major "selling" point for sh404SEF
Thanks and best regards
Congrats and keep up the good job!
Sorry you're (at least partially) unhappy with the extension, but what you report here is simply totally untrue. You can absolutely and positively manage any and all Virtuemart sef urls, meta data AND page titles - the most important of all! Plus Open graph data and more. You can do this for Virtuemart just like for any extension on your site.
If you are in doubt, check out the 3rd screenshot from the left, just above, and you'll see the Page title edit field.
If on top of manually altering any title or metadata for Virtuemart, through sh404SEF backend, you want to programm your own plugin to do so with your own rules, you can develop such plugins following our extensive documentation to do so (/sh404sef/docs/how-do-i-write-a-sh404sef-plugin-for-my-component.html and /forum/developer/sh404sef/324-writing-a-sh404sef-plugin-the-basics.html).
Frankly, I have no idea what you are referring to here.