sh404sef also includes many security features.
sh404SEF® id the most popular and longest developed Joomla seo extension. We are dedicated, full-time Joomla professionals who work each and every day to bring you the very best extensions and prompt support. Our staff have over 20 years of combined experience with Joomla (and Mambo) and we maintain some of the longest, continually developed Joomla add-ons available.
* sh404SEF rewrites Joomla URL to user-friendly format (SEF URL or URL rewriting): mysite.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=69&id=34
* NEW: Google Authorship support
* NEW: Twitter Cards support
* NEW: Google Analytics Universal support
* NEW: Google Tags manager support
* NEW: all output through JLayout, easily override in template
* full support for Google rel="prev" and rel="next" header tags, to improve SEO of paginated content
* built in caching database layer, speeds up sh404SEF. Backed by memcache, APC, etc
* Create and insert Open Graph data
quickly and easily add social media buttons to your entire site to allow sharing on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Linkedin and Pinterest.
* Integrated Google Analytics including support for social sharing
* Automatically generate tiny URLs (shURLs) for your content
* Full urls and bulk meta data management
* Easily redirect 404s to suggested SEF URLS
* Instantly add global support for canonical URLs (add rel="canonical" HTTP headers)
* Remove duplicate URLs, a common problem with Joomla websites
* Create human ear and search engine friendly (SEF) URLs
* Control URL re-write mode on a per-application basis
* Support for Google News URL format
* Easily customize the page title and page description with bulk updater
* Create customized error pages (i.e. 404) with relevant links and other info
* Harden against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS)
* Harden against malicious page requests
* Limit flooding attacks
* Protect input forms such as the contact page from spam (using Project Honey Pot)
* Control site access from suspicious domains (using IP address whitelisting and blacklisting)
We Support many third-party SEF plugins via the standard Joomla installer.
Components we support natively include: VirtueMart, K2, FlexiContent, Kunena, Jomsocial, Community Builder, mosetsTree and more.
I cannot praise sh404sef enough on their extension. Having just helped a colleague out that uses a different CMS system (not Joomla) I realise how lucky I am to have sh404sef to manage my website.
The additional overheads used by sh404sef to process URLs using PHP versus apache are minimal when I can point and click manage my URLs. It is stable, in active development and makes my life easier.
For anyone that uses Joomla and doesn't want to manually manage their URLs GET SH404SEF, your time will become your own again.
A big thanks to all the team @ sh404sef (Now Anything Digital).
Plus, the forum is very active. If you care about taking care of your duplicate content issues, you have to try this extension.
I am totally and pleasantly surprised by:
1. the easy of use (I originally selected JoomACE because I had read it was easier to use ... this is absolutely not true!)
2. the easy of installing (removed Joomace and installed sh404SEF and in 3 minutes I had the right settings to have exactly the same urls as I used to have).
3. the excellent information everywhere on the settings and on the website.
4. the forum with all questions answered and clearly answered (for example in Safari I could not manage to change the custom 404 error page and one quick search on the forum teaches in other browsers it should work and indeed ... no problems!)
I did not yet try the extra things like having google analytics integrated or switch to mobile template (will try these in the near future).
I do thoroughly enjoy the inbuilt '404 request manager' which lists all urls that ended up on a 404 error page. With one click you can redirect these to an existing url (through a concept called 'similar url' which is in 95% of my cases correct, making it really extremely easy to get all links working again or redirected to a page of your choice).
After all the difficulty with ACESEF, I am extremely happy to know SEF can be easy as well.
By the way also menu localisation (a Joomfish extension making it possible to hide certain menu items in one language only) works excellent (with ACESEF it does not because ACESEF makes you disable the JFRouter plugin and apparently menu localisation works only with the plugin enabled).
In short: Excellent! Bravo for the developers and the support team.
Their latest version for whatever reason loads the Facebook SDK by default, which broke FB Connect, Like Buttons and Box. We spent 3 hours to realize what was breaking it all (as we were upgrading other extensions as well).
These guys need to seriously sit down and decide what they are doing - if it's SEO extension, keep it SEO, if it is for Social Media, release it separately and stop breaking other people's stuff.
I am sorry, but there are other extensions doing Social stuff, yours is breaking them by default. Most people don't need analytics and tons of other useless stuff that's in and slows down the site.
sh404sef is absolute nightmare for site administrators and developers and I highly recommend you to not start with it at all.
Sorry upgrading to current version "broke" FB connect, it is certainly worth commenting on that.
Let me first clarify one major point you raise: Yes, sh404SEF is totally an SEO extension. If you haven't yet realized that social networks interaction has become an integral part of SEO, I'm sure you will soon. Google and Bing have both published documents on this.
This is why social features have been integrated into sh404SEF, and more will come.
An integrated solution can provides unique features, like hooking up social interactions on your site with Analytics and provide a single SEO dashboard right inside your website backend. Without any hard work from the user.
BTW, Analytics is also an integral part of SEO, and each and every website needs it.
Now, of course, we won't force you to use our solutions, and that's why you can disable with a simple click each of those features.
It works well, it seems fast and its very, very easy to use the admin backend to tweek its behaviour for your site.
There was an issue with the Ajax add-to-cart feature in Virtuemart which I fixed after ten minutes of searching in the support forum at Anything Digital. The changes required a few code changes, but were simply to do.
*** Note that, as the author warns, if you want to use the rewrite features of Apache to remove the display of 'index.php' in your URL's, you must ensure you have this working with standard Joomla first. Otherwise, the system still works well without Apache rewrites. ***
I think this extension is worth its price tag for the security feature alone.
Also, it's a fantastic component, but that's already well known. I thought it also well worth sharing about the people behind it.
i love it and be sure this is the best!
just some issue with category blog !
every thing works perfect but menu with category blog doesn't shown! i active "Always append Itemid to SEF URL" in options and problem is gone! but i don't like to add id in urls, is there any way to solve this?
thanks again for this great extension
Thanks for your positive reviews. Menus not showing is usually a Joomla Itemid issue. Rather than always appending Itemid, I suggest that you simply customize that particular url to your liking, so that the Itemid is the one you want
but no extension gives such support. I recommended to use this component even with out knowing any thing just read the manual and install it. Even baby can use sh404sef.
I would like to say Big Thank You to Jimie, thank you so much from you guidance, you have help ease my problem along this time.
Thank you Jimie.
Pretty intuitive (even for a non-techy like me), the information pop-ups are very handy. Documentation file is a bit light, but lots of reference mateial on vendor's website.
A couple of hickups setting up the software (self-inflicted) but Forum support had me up and running within hours, so happy with response time.
Good product, good value.
As you can see, and though support is free of charge, it's not only the "guy below" but all "guys" on this page that seems pretty happy with support.
A post can slip through, and as I don't have any information on your username on the forum, or what your problem was, I can only encourage you to get back to the forum and post again.
Unfortunately, I´ve run into problems when it comes to multilingual sites in combination with Joomlart templates. With sh404sef things just don´t work right.
sh404sef is definitely a serious and good extension, but seems to work best (i.e. out of the box and without tweaking and adjustments) on monolingual sites.
Thanks for your positive comments. I have spoken with jimie and understood what happened to you. There is no issue in sh404SEF with multilingual sites, actually we were probably the first to support this new feature in Joomla.
What happens in your case is that you created a multilingual site, but disabled additional languages and ran it as a mono-lingual site.
sh404SEF "pretends" that the language filter is always enabled, even if it is not in the Joomla plugin list. This is why some of your menu items disapeared, as they were not in the site default language. Just using "All" for these menus items language solves the issue.
In next release, I have added a setting to explicitely enable/disable multilingual support and avoid this sort of behavior, which is correct, but might not be expected.
Please note that we haven't anything linking this to the templates you are using.
Thanks for your positive review. Regaring your comparison with Joomla built in SEF, I have already answered that in details in a previous review response, so I don't think moderators would like me to put that same response again.
However, the short version is:
- SEF urls are only a small part of sh404SEF, think Analytics, shurls, security
- there has been no major improvement in Joomle on SEO since 1.0, aside from switching to table less output as standard output. Duplicate content is still the same, and URL length has increased, not decreased.
Though the native system is perfect, fast and efficient, if you want to go further in the competition for traffic, you have options to improve things, and sh404SEF is one of them.