sh404sef also includes many security features.
sh404SEF® id the most popular and longest developed Joomla seo extension. We are dedicated, full-time Joomla professionals who work each and every day to bring you the very best extensions and prompt support. Our staff have over 20 years of combined experience with Joomla (and Mambo) and we maintain some of the longest, continually developed Joomla add-ons available.
* sh404SEF rewrites Joomla URL to user-friendly format (SEF URL or URL rewriting): mysite.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=69&id=34
* NEW: Pinterest support. Including tracking in Google Analytics of Pinterest actions!
* NEW: full support for Google rel="prev" and rel="next" header tags, to improve SEO of paginated content
* NEW: built in caching database layer, can speed up sh404SEF and Joomla database operation. Backed by memcache, APC, etc
* Create and insert Open Graph data
quickly and easily add social media buttons to your entire site to allow sharing on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.
* Integrated Google Analytics including support for social sharing
* Automatically generate tiny URLs (shURLs) for your content
* Full urls and bulk meta data management
* Easily redirect 404s to suggested SEF URLS
* Instantly add global support for canonical URLs (add rel="canonical" HTTP headers)
* Remove duplicate URLs, a common problem with Joomla websites
* Create human ear and search engine friendly (SEF) URLs
* Control URL re-write mode on a per-application basis
* Support for Google News URL format
* Easily customize the page title and page description with bulk updater
* Fully compatible with multi-language solutions for Joomla such as JoomFish (i.e. internationalization)
* Create customized error pages (i.e. 404) with relevant links and other info
* Harden against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS)
* Harden against malicious page requests
* Limit flooding attacks
* Protect input forms such as the contact page from spam (using Project Honey Pot)
* Control site access from suspicious domains (using IP address whitelisting and blacklisting)
* Prevent CMS identification via the 'meta generator' tag
We Support many third-party SEF plugins via the standard Joomla installer.
Components we support natively include: VirtueMart, K2, FlexiContent, Kunena, Jomsocial, Community Builder, mosetsTree, Sobi2, myBlog and more.
Even if my extension is far less important, they supported me more than I expected.
After installation, sh404sef seems to be a complete and well written software.
I strongly recommend it to everybody interested in SEO.
The developer has just solved a problem arising with a specific third-party template on my site, nothing to do with him at all. The template guys didn't seem interested, but Jimie at SH404SEF took the issue personally and over several days guided me (a non-programmer) until the problem was fixed.
Guys, this is the kind of support that makes the world of Joomla! look great. I think SH404 will work for you first time, and if it doesn't, their support is as good as it gets.
Support is excellent. Quick and professional replies to any issues you could face.
Even though I was shocked in the beginning with the many options you have within this extension, it's worth the efforts.
And it provides you with a cool way to display Google Analytics. Security measures are a great bonus too.
It goes in every single Joomla site I manage. Highly recommended!
If I had a friend asking me for a SEF module I will recommend to try something else. Seriously.
sh404SEF, just like other SEF url extensions, stores the SEF/non-sef url pairs in the database, and this will generate some overhead, compared to using Joomla non-sef url. It will also add overhead to Joomla own SEF urls. From our experience and testing, overhead is usually between 20 to 30%. This way of doing things however brings up some SEO benefits, which normally exceed the small time penalty incurred.
Using a disk-based cache file also reduces greatly the strain onto the DB server. On a default Joomla installation, for instance, there is virtually no database access at all on most pages, including the home page. You may want to check disk cache file is activated in your sh404sef configuration.
Having sh404SEF running on several hundreds thousands web sites has proven the performance to be a non-issue. In any case, this question is one of numbers, not just general comment such as "slow" or "fast" and you definitely want to adjust your server configuration to your requirements.
As a reference, you won't have any issue running a significant Joomla site with 1 or 2 000 visitors per day on a good $6-7/month hosting.
2. You don't inform your community about extension and plans
3. No matter how hard I try, it creates duplicate URL's... I mean, it creates two different URLs for one same page.
1 and 2 are not really a review, so I should not normally respond, but let me simply tell you that the 1.6 version is nearing completion and should be there shortly.
As for creating duplicate urls, you are mistaking the solution for the problem. sh404SEF NEVER creates duplicate urls for the same content. On the contrary it makes sure the multiple urls created by Joomla for the same content are hidden, and that only ONE sef url is exposed to the world and to search engines. Joomla! creates duplicate urls on several occasions, typically by using varying Itemid to access the same content, or by adding/not adding category id for instance.
With sh404sef, you are protected from this behavior by always using the same SEF url.
It's really easy to set up, and then when I moved from a localhost to a server and had a problem I had no idea how to fix, I wrote a post on the forums and then Jimie took care of it within minutes.
Excellent extension & support!
Very, very disappointing because this is clearly the most powerful SEF URL software available. Now I'm back to core Joomla SEF with article ID's in my URL's and not happy about it.
Sorry about such a continued bad experience. Redirect loops when editing is not something we have reports of, that would be a rather no-go issue. Usually a missing $live_site in Joomla! configuration.php file value can be the source of this issue.
It is also important to point that because you have a problem when an extension such as sh404sef is running, and the problem goes away does NOT mean in any way that sh404sef is having a bug. It just means the problem is revealed when you run sh404sef and that's quite different.
Lastly, you don't need to recreate custom urls when you purge, they are stored separately and are not deleted, so I'm not sure why you would that. I can only encourage you to provide us with more detailed report of your issues so that they can be troubelshooted.
It does the job, and it does the job extremely good. Every url is modified to fit your own standard, so you can be found in google etc..
Very easy to use component and great support.
Everything is customisable and can be set to your own settings.
The analytics feature is great too, very fast and works fine.
This product should belong to every Joomla site.
The support team argues that this won't be supported because it is bad for SEO without any other considerations.
The support team is known to be rude and to divert issue, pointing at other issue rather addressing the problems, like the example above:
Multiple domain support vs SEO ethics.
It took them 4 post and 2 forum "hero member" to finally admit that "It is not supported and will not be supported."
I wouldn't advise to expect much from the support team even if you don't need multiple domain support pointing to your site IMHO.
I've seen many threads on their support forum that speaks for themselves... just do a search for the word "rude" on the forum and you will understand what I mean.
I'm sorry if you feel we've been rude to you, that was certainly not our intention.
However, it does seen we failed to convince you, so I will say it again here for the record, and for other users:
Don't do this. This is one of the biggest mistake you can do from a seo standpoint, and I can only confirm that sh404sef will continue to not allow this.
Being able to access your site through several domains is just a significant loss of ranking. I am sure everybody now knows and understands that you must not access your site using both www.site.com and site.com, but for some reason many people don't accept that accessing it through site1.com, site2.com and site3.com is exactly the same problem, only bigger.
Please simply don't do it. Choose one "main" domain and setup 301 redirects from all other domains to the main one.