So top of the cream would be the optional feature to let the component add the automatically generated keywords to the database.
PS: I really did not understand why Canonical URL
Let me say that Metagenerator v2.0 for joomla 1.6 is still in Beta phase and bugs is expected to be found so you can go to my discussions group in order to get it working for you and all other users who can have the sample problem.
Currently the 1.6 Beta is not applying any meta desc information. Otherwise, seems to be working excellent! I love the blacklist and gold list features.
You refer to "save and close" so I assume you are using the beta version for joomla 1.6. As beta version, bugs are expected. You should go to the extension discussion group to talk about this; anyway, "save" and "save and close" are working here and metagenarator is not breaking those joomla functions.
At first it used the same keywords for every page as it was grabbing the text from an article in a module and stopping there (a bug?). My q&d fix was to edit metagenerator.php to strip the first 50 chars of $thecontent so it skips over the troublesome text (line 126: $thecontent = substr($thecontent, 49);). I know there's a better way to do it but this method took less time than writing this review.
It seems you are not using last version. First, Metagenerator dosen't use sbstr() anymore, it uses joomla JString::substr for utf-8 support. Also what you are doing stripping the text is an option in last version.
Thank you very much for your review!!
Thanks for this plugin.
But I figured out a big problem:
As soon as you publish a module (ex. mod_newspager) to show within the article you are currently viewing the meta tags are used from that module!
In the case of mod_newspager the meta description and the meta keywords of the first article showed in that module are used instead of the description and keywords from the real article!
Neighter Google nor me like that.
So please fix it with the next release (I tested version 1.2.4).