FeedGator is the original RSS feed aggregator but it has been significantly updated with new features like full text importing. Please note: FeedGator does not display content items, that is done by the receiving content component.
- Joomla 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 2.5 and 3.0 native
- PHP 5.4.x compatible
- Plugins for native content, K2
- Other plugins to be updated (FLEXIcontent, Kunena, Mosets Tree, Zoo)
- RSS feed content can be stored to any content component (with plugin)
- RSS 0.90 to 2.0, Atom 0.3, 1.0, Dublin Core, iTunes RSS and XHTML 1.0. For a full list check the SimplePie FAQ item on this subject. Now includes SimplePie over-rides to fix encoding issues.
- Full text importing using Readability port by FiveFilters
- Feed import preview to check your settings and end result
- Feed filtering based on whitelist/blacklist set for each feed
- htmLawed (X)HTML filter, processor, purifier, sanitizer and beautifier for imported text
- Filter HTML to exclude unwanted sections or tags
- Filter and replace text to edit/alter/censor where needed
- Enclosure support built-in
- Image and enclosure downloading
- Access control for imported content
- Variety of built-in and external metadata generation options (keyword tagging)
- Trackback (bit.ly, goo.gl supported) and link handling
- Import tracking and duplicate handling
- Automatic feed caching
- Automated imports using cron
- Easy to read HTML reports online or via email
- Automated Facebook posts or Tweets via AutoTweet NG
- Intelligent upgrade - simply install on top of any version of FeedGator higher than 2.0!
Latest Stable: VERSION 2.3.7 - ALWAYS BACKUP FIRST
Latest Development: VERSIONS 2.4beta3hotfix1 and 3.0alpha3 - ALWAYS BACKUP FIRST
Major version release. Massive code rewrite. Change the plugins to Joomla plugins to ease install/upgrade issues.
FeedGator3.0alpha3 is NOT PRODUCTION READY - This is a functional alpha release for testing.
FeedGator2.4 version is compatible with Joomla 1.5 - 2.5
FeedGator 2.4 beta3hotfix1
FeedGator3.0 is compatible with Joomla 2.5 - 3.x
FeedGator 3.0 alpha3
The uninstall process for 2.4 and 3.0 still removes the FeedGator database tables. YOU WILL LOSE ALL FEEDGATOR DATA WHEN UNINSTALLING.
Many, many, many features and developments for 2.4 and 3.0 including:
-Revamped admin again with better workflow
-Revamped and reworked code for many areas
-Easy installer and upgrade path
-Better focussing of the source text parser for difficult sites
Within an hour I'd created a blog on Blogger, set up its feed in Feedgator, configured BlogPress to talk to Blogger and was making posts to the category of my choice in Joomla.
Setup of the component was very easy and intuitive with the 'tooltip' help. No need to refer to any manual. The psuedo-cron plug in does an excellent job of processing the feed at predetermined intervals. This looks like it's going to be a 'set and forget' extension.
Top marks! Feedgator will be my solution of choice for future projects that require remote / mobile publishing to Joomla.
I have used FeedGator for quite a while now to pull in news stories from a variety of music news feeds to a blues club website so club members can keep up with Blues News from around the world.
It has been simple to use and saves me heaps of time.
Now I've just upgraded to Joomla! 3 and would love to continue using Feedgator, but I see it only works on J2.5
So my question, Matthew, is - are you planning a J3 version and if so, when?
I was disappointed at first that it did not pull in feeds automatically through the component. I tried the pseudo-cron plugin, but it was creating heavy site load. My only solution was to set up a cron job, which I had never done before, so I was a little intimidated. However, since I host through GoDaddy, after reading a quick walkthrough and the support files in the component backend, I had it done in about 2 minutes. Incredibly easy! Now FeedGator automatically imports news every hour, posts it, and sends me a daily email report. Now I'm no longer chained to my website, but footloose and fancy free!
I use Kunena and push articles into my forums via the Kunena Discuss plugin. It's a bit buggy when used with FeedGator as it will double-post the article into a forum post unless you tell FeedGator to only post intro text. Then it works like a charm!
For these reasons, I can't give this extension 5 stars. However, it's very impressive for a free component. It's been a lifesaver and a tool I will gladly support.
The Kunena plugin will be updated soon to achieve compatibility with the 2.4 and 3.0 branches. FeedGator by default posts introtext to be hidden when viewing a full article (fulltext). However, this doesn't work with Kunena and we need to look at this to avoid it happening at all.
You can organize every feed to go on a specific joomla category...very nice!!
But there are few bugs: I applied the class for the images imported on my site via feedgator, but when I view the html code of the rendered page on my site the class is not part of the code...if i apply manually the attribute it works fine. why?
We've sorted the image class problem in version 2.4!
This extension does everything I need and best of all it was free. I don't know how good the support is because I've never needed to get in touch with support as the product just works.
The user interface is quite good and overall it is a very simple extension to install and use even if you an amateur.
There are still quite a few options that could be added or improved and the GUI needs some reordering but I never found a feed that could not be imported the way I needed it by experimenting with parameters a bit.
PS: until a picture resize engine would be available in feedgator , I found out that the using the "SmartResizer" Joomla plugin does the job quite well and easily.
If you think this extension will do half of what it claims it will do, you're in for a disappointment. If used for simple feed imports (as the 5-star reviewers must be doing), it will work fine out of the box. But most of the advertised bells and whistles, most notably Yahoo Term Extraction (metatags) and those features that deal with setting filtering options when a feed it set to "Get Source Full Text", simply do not work.
but i have one problem that i want the feed pic to be stored in my server so i can use it in another module so i set the option to save the pic on my server but still not working and the pic still get an out sever link (original one) how can i fix this
and great work
The upload feed form should have; such modules
- Send a email alert to administrator when a new feed is uploaded
- Module for languages
- Module for categories
- Approve system for url feeds
- Report Objectionable Content
- Purge old entries
- Check broken feeds url