Once data is entered, the component generates team roster, schedule, stats, box scores, and individual player pages. Detailed player statistics and other features make this extension a must have for any webmaster using Joomla for their baseball team or league websites. Many of the features can be enabled/disabled using the configuration.
Three customizable modules are available to use with the extension:
Win/Loss & Standings
W/L Expanded Module
Previous Game Results
Boxscore plugin for articles.
These modules give the webmaster great tools for keeping their baseball/softball sites dynamically updated.
Here are some of the many features:
* Ability to easily create menu links for Roster, Schedule, Stats, League/Division standings, as well as an “All Teams” w/built-in navigation links.
* SEF-friendly URLS.
* Front-end team management. Allow specific registered users access to their team admin functions. Ability to turn on/off specific front-end admin functions.
* Schedule pages can be configured to show full league/division or specific teams, in full view or calendar/month/day view.
* Printer-friendly schedules and iCal file for import to calendar programs, as well as URL for maintaining a dynamic Google Calendar.
* Player Import/export feature for handling large player databases.
* Player “Clone” feature which allows a player to be on more than one team roster at a time (for all-star teams and other uses).
* Configuration options including whether to use or not use batting, pitching, and/or fielding stat categories, calculate ERA in 7 or 9 innings.
* Two optional custom fields for use with Rosters, option to show player photo thumbnail.
* Lots of optional statistics for batting and pitching, including Pitch count (PIT) statistic, ERA, H/9, WHIP and much more.
* Selectable CSS file and several built-in CSS options to choose from.
* Language file and language packs for various languages.
* Configurable points system for sorting standings by points.
* Option to import individual game stats by CSV file for use with popular stat programs such as iScore.
Note: the latest version is compatible with Joomla 2.5x and contains several enhancements and improvements over previous vers
This season, I thought I'd try something new and I am SO glad I did. The front end UI is intuitive and easily customizable with css. The back end and set up was a bit more confusing, but Brook was VERY helpful.
I only give 4 stars because while you can add teams and players through the fe, an admin needs to go to the back end and make them 'managed' by selecting a user to manage them. I wish this would automatically happen so the coaches can just add their teams and see them right away without me needing to basically approve them. He says he'll think about adding this and when he does, he'll get another star.
Overall, it's amazing!
My biggest complaint is that I cannot obtain information from a previous season without losing the current year's information. For my parents wanting to know how a specific team has did in the past, this becomes impossible.
The company told me that importing my data directly into the SQL database was not the way to do it. They told me we had to manually enter all information through the administration interface. They assured me that if we did this, everything would be the way we wanted.
I removed my negative review in hopes that they were right. I was also told we would get the update when it came out... but of course, the update took so long to release, our subscription conveniently ran out. Now we cannot download the new update to see if anything has improved.
When we started the new season, it was the same result, even entering our 1,200 games and 400 practices manually.
This is a great concept, but it needs improvement with honest replies instead of hopeful arguments.
It is important to note that the information presented by this user may be misleading without clarification. Please note you can certainly access previous season stats in the stats page for any particular TEAM or PLAYER. Browse the demo or my personal team site www.brewerball.com to see how team and personal stats are accessible for previous seasons.
In the future, we will expand on the ability to enter historical data for teams and players PRIOR to installing the Fastball component. The project is ongoing and updates are released approximately 2-3 times per year. The next major update is forthcoming and will be 1.7x compatible.
There is no forum to report bugs or make the component better.
I have made the modules they have better, but no place to share them without a forum.
It was rushed to production, but I am glad I have it, it just makes it take longer for it to work properly with me fixing things and making it better. If there was a forum, those that have it could save time and make it better. Oh well, I would recommend it, as all-in-all, it is a good component.