- CSS- Menu with Sub-Menues
- patTemplate support
- split the menu up (e.g. sub-navigation on the side)
- navigate through sections, categories, content items (you can even make it expand regular section/category link menu items)
- plugin support (load menu items from a custom database table or create complex views)
- use one of the available menu templates (mainly based on other great resources like the suckerfish CSS menu, an accessible dTree menu, mountain-top rounded corners...) or create/modify your own menu template (you may want to make this one then available to others).
(please see the homepage for more details)
Just an additional note as some may misunderstand some things about this module:
- it main emphases is not to make it simpler than the built in mainmenu but add some more possibilities and sacrifices some simplicity for flexibility (separate sub modules could probably be created to overcome this)...
- those are mainly focused on giving the web developer/designer the possibility to create standard based web sites (menu wise)
- that is to be able to separate structure (HTML) from design (CSS)
- for integration, design and other reasons this is not a component but just a module with it's limitation
- (a required step may not be required for a later Joomla version)
This may help your decision:
- don't use this module if you don't need/want any of it's additional features
- don't use it if you are not sure what HTML/CSS is and you actually don't care about web standards (accessibility etc.)
- otherwise just check it out.. it depends on your knowledge, preferences and what you actually want to archive
Note: Unfortunately I can't reply to comments. If you believe there is a bug or it is not working as advertised then please do contact me or raise an issue in the bug tracker.
e.g. this module is compatible with Joomla 1.7 since the snapshot version 2011-11-10.
(1.0.6 on the other hand was not compatible)
Only problem is the module is not updated from long time. Hope the developer will take note of this and release version for 1.7 or at least update the module
You can create automatic menu-items for sections and categories. In other words, you can expand joomla categories and sections. The real beauty about it: the output options. i.e. category name as static title or clickable links. Or even as a select-box. A handy little gem: The ItemID selection has a fixed and a smart option.
Never tried the suckerfish menu templates. But i have seen them in some templates.
In Joomla 1.0 days, the awesome splitmenu option was my highlight (something you know from J1.5, right?! )
I would really like to see it for J1.6+ ;)
The only issue I have is between suckerfish and EI, I have installed the code form a couple different sources that are supposed to make it work right, but still no luck, and java is one thing I don't know. If a fix were provided on the developer site along with the suckerfish instructions it would be perfection in my eyes.