* Simple mouse driven interface allows infinite styling of all aspects of the menu module without touching the keyboard or knowing CSS
* True type font integration for top and sub menu items using easily obtained cufon font files
* Corner styling. Independent corner styles for each corner of the complete menu, top menu, and sub menus.
* Advanced menu source features for the menu include the ability to automatically create whole menu structures from content(content only menu), Or too automatically append content items as menu items to existing categories(hybrid Menu). This unique system of menu and content integration allows you to custom make a menu system that automatically updates itself as content is added. Virtuemart integation is also supported.
* Create and export an external style sheet and edit it manually for unlimited styling capabilities.
* Active menu feature will automatically keep the top menu item highlighted for the part of the site being viewed.
* Live preview to see changes as they are made, as well as a complete preview to show entire menu module.
* Integrated update/repair facility makes it easy to upgarde to future versions of swMenuFree without losing any settings.
* Currently has 12 included translations for the admin component.
Having had to migrate some 10 sites from j1.5.25 to J2.5.x I was so frustrated with the lack of legacy menus in 2.5. This meant re-writing the CSS for each custom-built site - then I stumbled on SWMenuFree. After a few hours it was clear I had to buy the full version - which I did. This allows top and side (and other menus) all on one site.
It is a doddle to customise menus. Remember "more is less" and don't "guild the lily": just because an effect is possible, it doesn't mean you have to use it. This produces some cool, clean menus in record time that are reliable and work.
I've used the extension for about 3 years now and can't fault it. Its easy to use, works out of the box as everything is pretty much self explanatory. However, there is also documentation.
So imagine my surprise when I contacted the developer to ask about the upgrade path for Joomla 2.5 and what it would cost, only to be told that I could upgrade at no cost to myself with a link included in the email.
This has to be one of the best value extensions available. I should also add that the developer Sean, responded to my inquiry within about an hour or so of it being sent off.
Sean mate, you have a brilliant product. You really should charge more for it as I would definitely like to know you will be around when I want to buy a another copy for other sites I will be working on.
Keep up the great work.
At the beginning I had used the free version. It could do all I need. I changed to the commercial version because these guys have done a great job and deserve being paid for it.
I used it to replace a native Joomla! menu, it's functional now.
I'm not an expert with Joomla! so it took me about 30 minutes to deploy the extension, 3 hours to make the menu functional and a whole day to tweak it to the look and feel I wanted. Or rather very close to this.
The option to create a CSS file is a good compromise between flexibility and usability. However, once you created a CSS file you keep running over it as the way to CSS is a one way street: Once you created this file you cannot continue working with excellent native user interface.
Now don't get me wrong, you will hardly ever need to go to the CSS file. I did, because I wanted a menu with entries that separated with horizontal lines.
Thank you guys for this very good extension!