* Simple mouse driven interface allows infinite styling of all aspects of the menu module without touching the keyboard or knowing CSS
* True type font integration for top and sub menu items using easily obtained cufon font files
* Corner styling. Independent corner styles for each corner of the complete menu, top menu, and sub menus.
* Advanced menu source features for the menu include the ability to automatically create whole menu structures from content(content only menu), Or too automatically append content items as menu items to existing categories(hybrid Menu). This unique system of menu and content integration allows you to custom make a menu system that automatically updates itself as content is added. Virtuemart integation is also supported.
* Create and export an external style sheet and edit it manually for unlimited styling capabilities.
* Active menu feature will automatically keep the top menu item highlighted for the part of the site being viewed.
* Live preview to see changes as they are made, as well as a complete preview to show entire menu module.
* Integrated update/repair facility makes it easy to upgarde to future versions of swMenuFree without losing any settings.
* Currently has 12 included translations for the admin component.
Stay away if you want your site to be crawled properly!
p.s. sorry to write a bad review for a great extension. but this small, yet EXTREMELY IMPORTANT issue is what made me not use it
The one failing (and also with extended menu) is that it only gives an option for Blog or table listings of all articles under a category in the Category description page. I may be thinking of this wrong as I am a Joomla newbie but I want a simple extended menu to display SECTION headings (and when the user clicks on that they see just the text in the SECTION DESCRIPTION) and similary for the CATEGORY's.
So instead of being able to click on a category sub menu item and seeing just a summary text, I get the summary text and either a Blog or Table entry of all the articles!!
It would be very nice if this feature was provided.
I tried using the SWmenufree forum and have had no reply.
Still a good menu despite it's limitations.
The instructions in the component itself are very clear, and it is very easy to create a menu that looks like what you want it to look like. Kind of like what you click and type is what you get, WYCATIWYG... very nice.
This menu extension lacks very little, and I am sure Pro would provide whatever you are missing.
The installation was so easy, just install the zip file with extensions/install and that is it, installation done.
I have downloaded the manual for version 4 as well. It is still a great help.
Thanks for the great extension.
I will definitely recomended it to other users as well.
I monkeyed around with a bunch of other menu extensions, none of which were simple, and still required too much mickey-mousing around with code to fix for IE6, etc. I wasted 3 days with those things.
This extension was fully customizable from it's component backend. It worked with every browser I tested it on immediately. Awesome! And it's FREE!
Luckily, my client only needed a couple of drop downs for this site, but if I ever need a lot, I know I can always pony up for the Pro version. To me, it's worth money to save time...which IS money...
Anyway, thanks, Sean!
One mistake I made was over-zealously clicking the 'save' button, though; for some reason it created another SWmenu module, which of course conflicted and gave me fatal PHP errors. Easy enough to fix, just had to turn one off in the Module Manager, but thought I should mention it anyway in case anyone else does the same by mistake!
Thanks again though
That's the menu component then.
The most amazing thing is Sean's devotion. Check out the forum and you'll see what I mean. Send him some cash, or buy the "pro" version, and tell your mates about his stuff too.
(Am not affiliated with the owner in anyway)
My guess would be that SWmenuFree depends on the some other aspect of Joomla to define variables that it uses. If they're not defined, SWmenyFree bombs out.