* Simple mouse driven interface allows infinite styling of all aspects of the menu module without touching the keyboard or knowing CSS
* True type font integration for top and sub menu items using easily obtained cufon font files
* Corner styling. Independent corner styles for each corner of the complete menu, top menu, and sub menus.
* Advanced menu source features for the menu include the ability to automatically create whole menu structures from content(content only menu), Or too automatically append content items as menu items to existing categories(hybrid Menu). This unique system of menu and content integration allows you to custom make a menu system that automatically updates itself as content is added. Virtuemart integation is also supported.
* Create and export an external style sheet and edit it manually for unlimited styling capabilities.
* Active menu feature will automatically keep the top menu item highlighted for the part of the site being viewed.
* Live preview to see changes as they are made, as well as a complete preview to show entire menu module.
* Integrated update/repair facility makes it easy to upgarde to future versions of swMenuFree without losing any settings.
* Currently has 12 included translations for the admin component.
That's the menu component then.
The most amazing thing is Sean's devotion. Check out the forum and you'll see what I mean. Send him some cash, or buy the "pro" version, and tell your mates about his stuff too.
(Am not affiliated with the owner in anyway)
My guess would be that SWmenuFree depends on the some other aspect of Joomla to define variables that it uses. If they're not defined, SWmenyFree bombs out.
My client was insistent about having flyout menus, and this was my pick! I was able to customise the menu easily to suit the rest of the template - AND there is a how-to manual! I upgraded to the Pro version as my client wanted more than one fly-out menu, and that too comes with a how-to manual and some extra little graphics to use - excellent. Client is happy, I am happy. Thanks for your help.
I can't understand the people who claim to be experts in Programming languages and haven't been able to configure this. No offence meant! But, believe me, I am new to this and do not know any other programming or scripting language. But, this was the easiest and the best I found around.
The instructions provided were the best which I haven't observed in any other components or modules. IF anyone find this difficult to use, I advise them to stay away from Joomla altogether.
The only thing I felt bad about was that I had taken the words of a few negative reviews instead of reading all the reviews and had wasted a lot of time trying out the other modules/components.
Believe me, this had been very easy to configure and I was able to tweak it to the exact look I needed. Go ahead and try this out, folks.
Thanks to the Developers for providing this for Free! So, some of the best things do come for Free!
The backend section is fantastic and let you to create whatever menu you have in mind. It's a pity it is not a part of joomla by default.
Regarding the documentation issue, I wonder if documentation was necessary .... very easy to use ... I think the manual is even overdone.
This extension is a prime example of how to make money with open-source software. This version is free, and it's awesome. Then he offers an even fancier version with even fancier-looking menus for $50. For what I'm going to do, though, I'm going to stick with the free one.
I do have one minor complaint. If you enable the cache option, there's a bug in the code that the author is aware of and has a fix for. See this web page: http://www.swmenupro.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=302&topic=4670.0
But he said he'd fix that in the core code back in April, and it's now July. It's a one character fix. Either turn off caching or add a digit in the code; it's up to you.
I guess we should have the swmenufree folks do instructions for some of the other components.
This tool is a fantastic addition to a developers arsenal to get a drop-down menu system working very quickly. Excellent customisation options. I did not even download the documentation.
I already use Extended Menu which works fine but using this tool is so much easier.
Don't forget to download the SwMenuMaker tool as well which takes the pain out of moving menu items around.