Break free from Joomla's Section and Category restrictions. Did you ever want to put an article into two or more categories? List selected articles from multiple sections and categories? Create a blog or list based on author?
This component allows you to create a blog or list layout based on keywords and author. So you can create any number of menu items showing articles based on any combination of keywords.
* Create blog or list layouts exactly like the standard Category blog and list layouts, but using keyword and author matching instead of Category.
* Optional match on Author or Author Alias as well as keywords.
* Option to include articles with ANY matching keywords or only articles where ALL keywords match.
* Option to limit articles based on Section or Category.
* Option to show matching keywords and sort based on best match.
* January 7, 2010: Version 1.0.10 now available. Allows you to select Published or Archived. Also allows editing from layouts.
* August 29, 2009: Version 1.0.7 now available. Allows you to create a blog or list without needing an Intro Article. Also, allows you to show all articles written by the currently logged in user.
* June 9, 2009: Version 1.0.6 now available. This adds a new option to use an exact match on keywords. So keyword lists must have the same words and be in the same order to match.
* May 7, 2009: Version 1.0.5 now available. This adds a new parameter that allows you to link to other FJ Related menu items instead of articles. If a related article is an Intro Article for another FJ Related menu item, you can link to this menu item instead of to the article.
* April 12, 2009: Version 1.0.4 now available. It fixes problem with upgrades causing Into Article to be lost. Also adds Italian langage.
* March 12, 2009: Version 1.0.3 now available. It fixes minor display problem.
Here is how it works. You create an article with the desired keywords and author information. Then you create a blog or list layout and select this article for the menu item. That's all there is to it! The blog or list layout will show all articles that match the keywords and author information of the menu item's article.
See the Demo page for a quick tour of what you can do.
What I found was FJ Related Articles Blog and List Component. It allows the creation of menu items based on keyword selections.
I am still not sure, but it may prove very useful. I just have to get my mind wrapped around the possibilities.
A little later and my mind is wrapped around the possibilities and they are good. The higher the volume of articles I realized it is not only nice; it is essential to be able to create menu items based not only on either sections and/or categories, but on keywords that can be global or restricted to either sections and/or categories.
The Development>Web>Joomla>Plugins and Extensions is my first such menu entry. Restricted to the Development section, Joomla category, and the keywords plugin and extension, it presents the articles in a blog view.
This one is a must have!
I utilized this on a site that had me pulling my hair out trying to make organizational changes to articles. It alleviated all my issues, and made my organizational procedures amazingly simple.
I'm now redesigning another site and of course, there are over 3,000 articles all over the place. This tool was the first thing I installed!
It's nothing short of ABSOLUTELY amazing. This utility is on my 'must have' list for every site I design here on out.
Thanks to the developers!!
I know this is not a very helpful review to some of you, but after trying probably every extension out there to organize my site. This simple effective solution, finally did the trick.
Many thanks - saved me hours
Exactly what I need. It categorize article by keywords, and display it in blog view.
One minor bugs, "Print" link and "Email This" link, which normally displayed as a "printer picture" and "email picture", in this extension is displayed as text "Array Print Array" and "Email." But the links work normally.
Anyway, thanks for this great extension and keep good work.
Thanks for the review. Could you please report the printer picture and email picture issues in the project Bug Tracker here: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/freejoomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemBrowse&tracker_id=7957. Please include a screenshot showing the problem. Thanks. Mark Dexter
I have just one cuestion, it's a breadcrumbs issue.
I use the component in a child menu item to filter a blog layout ie.:
When you select the Sedans item that is managed by your component i get a correct breadcrumb with the > Sedans at the tail... but when you select an article in the Sedans fj related blog layout the breadcrumb goes back to > Cars > Article...
This detail might be too little but i would be good to know if there's a workaround to solve it.
Configuring is easy, but remember... if you have cache activated... don't make my mistake. disable cache during setup ;)
As stated conpatibilty with SEF could be another great point.. but HEY. it is already rated 5stars ! with sef compatibility we shall rate it 6stars
GREAT JOB MARK !
Unless I have missed something in this extension here is my understanding.
Generally all the articles have Meta Keywords associated while to Match on Author one has to remove all the meta keywords which is not good.
Instead there should be option in the parameters "Do Not Match on Keywords" or "Match on" and the options should be All, Any, None.
The extension should then match only on the author, this way one can preserve the keywords which are required for the search engine optimization.
Hi and thanks for the review. It is very easy to create a menu item that only matches on author. Just create an Intro Article for the menu item that doesn't have any keywords but does have the desired author. You don't have to "remove all the meta keywords" from any other articles, just the Intro Article (which doesn't need to be a "real" article on your site). If you have support questions, please feel free to use the Help forum. Hope this helps. Mark
Very easy to use!