* Capability to create more than one sitemap with different preferences for each sitemap.
* Generation of XML sitemaps compatible with Google, Yahoo, Bing and others.
* Cache system to allow a fastest sitemap generation. Ideally for large or high traffic sites. You can enable or disable this feature independently for each sitemap.
* Exclude easily any menu item from your site map directly from the frontend
* Option to compress the XML sitemap
* Better presentation of the XML sitemap on browsers.
* Compatibility with Joomla 1.5, Joomla 1.6 and Joomla 1.7
* You can specify the priority and change frequency params for each menu and now for every item in your site map.
* You can change the priority and change frequency for every item in your sitemap.
* Shows some statistical information for each sitemap:
o Las visit date.
o Number of links generated on the last visit.
o Number of visits.
* There is available a lot of plugins for the most popular components: Zoom, DOCman, VirtueMart, Fireboard, SMF, Hot Property, SOBI2, Mosets Tree, MyBlog, RSG and many others.
* Customization for each extension
When adding a menu that includes alias items (ie the menu item is set up in another menu and this one just has a link), the component fails to deal with it and produces an invalid link.
Many extensions are installed by default, I would prefer just to install what I need. Of those installed, I saw MyBlog which the site uses. However, it fails to work. OK having the extension is a bonus really - but worse than just failing to get the links back, the whole sitemap bombs as soon as it hits that menu item - producing an incomplete, and invalid sitemap.
I could go on but I don't want to be unfair. Evidently the component works well for many sites. But I do not find it to be solid or polished, and do not have confidence that it will produce good clean output for my site.
If generates an HTML, XML, and News version of your sitemap. You can just copy the XML URL and manually submit it to google or add it to your robots.txt file.
Now Yahoo!, Google, and other major search engines support pinging xml sitemaps, it would be nice to have some sort of submission system built into xmap.
Thanks to the other reviewers for explaining how to find the options/preferences menu that contains links to the site map URL's. I was pretty lost until I read those notes.
Its like a one touch magic button, once installed it creates everything in a flash of second, all you have to do is copy the xml link generated in the preference section and paste it on google.com/webmaster tools for your site to be indexed by google quickly.
I wish all joomla extensions were this outstanding!
Some people have trouble figuring out how to link to the sitemap and / or set preferences. It's very easy. Create a menu item linking to the component!
To get the url for the sitemap link to submit to Google, just go into the componenet and click on Options /Preferences. How easy is that?
Thanks again for a great component!