- Joomla!1.5, 2.5, 3 (stable or any later version).
- PHP 4.4.1 (or any later version) with GD library (graphics library for thumbnails creation).
Since version 2 (Joomla! 1.7) Favicon can have transparent background
Phoca Favicon and Joomla! 1.7 Demo:
It solves a problem that makes quite a headache...
Although it is true that you can do it by editing the templates, putting pics into somewhere, for those who use Joomla, a component fits to the system much rather that editing files directly.
I believe, it is a "core" extension for those who make websites for the public.
The only trouble I came across was with the 'thumbs' directory as posted in an earlier review. That review helped me fix the problem and continue on my way - thanks roandr!
"Creating a favicon take minutes anyway without this extension"
With this component it takes some seconds.
Using this component saves users some steps while creating favicon:
- you need not to resize your image (Phoca Favicon will create icon from image which have any size)
- you need not to convert image to ico file
- you need not to copy this ico to server, to template folder.
So it is the same like you will say, you need not Joomla! because you can write all your articles direct into the php files. Users who have no image editor, who don't know resizing images, who don't have any idea how to convert image to ico type, who don't know the place where to copy this icon, maybe they will appreciate this help.
If you don't need this help, it is very easy, just uninstall this component and make all these steps manually.
Really does do what it says on the tin.
2. It does not seem to support transparency - something that limits its uses.
Other than that I liked the easiness of the component.