The Google font directory is a collection of fonts hosted on Google servers and available for use on your website under an open source license. Unlike the CSS font-face system they work on all browsers (even IE6) and unlike flash embedded systems the fonts are completely search engine friendly.
Install the zip file via the administration install manager as per any other plugin. Once it has installed go to the plugin manager and select HD-Gfonts. Enable the plugin, choose the font from the parameters list and click on apply.
The downside for me is that it applies globally. i.e. Select a font for paragraph text, and the entire site changes. This is probably what a lot of people want, but for me, I'd like to see an editor button in the article editor to apply as and when. It does what it says....
Easy to use and works like a charm.
This was my workflow.
I went into firebug.
Selected a piece of text. Copied all the classes from the firebug menu. Pasted them into the extension. And lo and behold. (Dont forget to add comma's between the different classes you want to influence.)
All my text updated without a problem.
It gave the site i am working on a completely different look.
Did find one bug though, and im suprised it hasnt been mentioned unless its just my install. The first Font slot works fine, but the second I couldn't get working. Thru firebug I can see that its trying to style .table for some odd reason... whilst the other slots style nothing by default.
This means that you can not use it for page title and component headings, It can only display google fonts INSIDE of content items.
If this were to be rewritten as a system plugin it would be alot more useful. It is amazing that there is no good system wide google fonts plugin yet.
This plugin could be the de-facto standard like kc_cufon is for cufon - if only it worked system wide...
The installation was quick and easy. Uploaded the zip, enabled the plug in and a nice back end menu to select fonts.
When I installed it and selected the fonts I noticed I didn't see them in my articles. I mailed the developer and he replied to my message in no time. It turns out I used alternative classes in my css, and by putting those classes in the menu all was fixed.
The front end results look gorgeous. I never imagined the results would be this good.
A big thank you to the developer for making this extension!!!
As downloaded, the font list was incomplete as Google continues to add new fonts I guess.
However, the associated files are trivial to edit to include any new Google web font that appears.
I like it!
Thanks for the great review!
The latest version now includes the full Google Font Directory (including Bold, Italic and Bold-Italic variations). As it is an ongoing project it is difficult to keep bang up to date but I aim to update on a month by month basis. However if you do spot any fonts that need adding please let me know.