10 June 2016
Joomla 3.6 Beta 1 is Available for Testing
The first beta for Joomla 3.6 is already available, so anybody can take a look to the new features before are released for all the Joomla 3 sites.
If you're a #joomler, we strongly recommend you to play with this version, report bugs and make Joomla better!
What's new in Joomla 3.6?
These are some of the new features included in this beta:
- Reinstall current version of Joomla; very useful to fix a damaged installation.
- Subform field. A new JFormField type.
Download, install and report bugs
- You can download Joomla 3.6 Beta 1 package from here.
- Install as a new site in your computer.
- Play with the new features.
- If you find a bug, please report it.
Important: Don't use Joomla 3.6 Beta 1 in production sites!
The Joomla release cycle
3 packages of Joomla 3.6 will be released before reaching the stable version:
- Joomla 3.6.0 Beta 1 (available at the time of writing this post)
- Joomla 3.6.0 Beta 2
- Joomla 3.6.0 Release candidate
The step 4 is equivalent to the stable release, which will be the healthy version available as update through any Joomla 3 backend.
Why should I care about Joomla 3.6 Beta 1?
Joomla 3.6 Beta 1 is intended for testing purposes only, in order to improve the coming stable release.
I point here two main reasons to pay attention to Joomla 3.6 Beta 1, Beta 2 and Release candidate:
1. Template and extension developers can test their products within the new Joomla’s code.
If they detect incompatibilities in their products, they have enough time to fix the bugs prior of the release of the stable version of Joomla 3.6.
2. Any #joomler can test Joomla and report bugs to contribute to the community, or just for fun!
The reported issues will be fixed and available in the Beta 2, where the testing process will start again to provide fixes for the Release candidate.
For more details about Joomla 3.6 Beta 1, please read the official announcement.