Assuming that i was was aware that SEF is a very complex issue in advance ... i tried out this free SEF-Extension.
On first place installed very smoothly, presenting a very nice user-interface.
Installed it, configured all adjustements to be done, ready, steady - go. So far so good, but this is where all the trouble began!
Meanwhile have i spent 2 weeks of my precious lifetime editing wrongly interpreted and correcting 404s and duplicated URLs ... just to find myself having to begin again and again from the top!
ACEsef seems to be a very nice tool and IF it would be working correctly i would definately stick to it.
But i had to DEinstall it as my whole website was messed up after using it.
My main critcs are:
1.) ACEsef has a few bugs. Once you edit some URL (wether a duplicated or 404) after saving it the list of URLs just disappears from screen! Cant get it back by reloading page. Sometimes it appears again by changing the component-dropdown, but not for sure. This is very annoying and a P...-i.-t..-A..!
2.) Sometimes when you edit an URL the edit-window just shows up fullscreen not getting back to normal even if you save or cancel the action. Have to switch back to last page in browser.
3.) the URLs get wrongly interpreted all over and over again. Once you have the right configuration set up and all URLs are ok, next day it ears up all things and it starts adding new URLs with 404s and Moved-URLs ... not keeping the ones you already have set up correct.
I couldn´t get the extension to work correctly after 14(!) day of intense tryout and adjustments, correcting URLs again and again, reading all possible information there is such as Forum and helpfiles or documentation. And i am not a novice nor to joomla or computing in general.
I am sure that ACEsef is a powerful extension with many features. But as said not yet working correctly in all aspects. Maybe one day worth trying again if all problems have been sold out. For now not worth a penny (for me!).