Profile: Alex

100

Great gallery extension


Posted on 30 July 2014
Great extension!

Don't hesitate, it's totally worth the money.



It saved me so much time and it's full of features.

Thanks
100

The perfect one!


Posted on 30 July 2014
After trying several booking extensions I found the perfect one.



It's very easy to use and several clients liked it too as it offers a good level of customization.



The extension offer a lot of features and it's great value for money.



Recommended!
40

I'm not impressed at all


Posted on 24 July 2014
I used this extension for few months before writing this review.

I also bought a dedicated server to run jomres, I've been using Joomla for several years for several projects and clients.



The Pros:

-Cheaper than other similar alternatives, only in monetary terms. You will end up spending endless hours to figure it out.

-Features





The Cons:



-Learning curve: it takes a long time to learn how it works, adding businesses and setting up rates is complex and confusing for a travel agent or a business owner compared to other booking systems.



-This is not a Joomla extension, it works with Joomla (sometimes) but it's more like a standalone booking system, it was built for Mambo and after integrated in Joomla and now also in Wordpress.

As a result, you should manage Jomres from the frontend and a very annoying additional menu is added to your website.



-Conflicts with other plugins or extensions, since it's just integrated in Joomla there are several conflicts with plugins and other extensions.

At some point Jomres crashed the whole website during a version update. I've never experienced something like that.



-Website will slow down and yes, even if I had a dedicated server.



-The design is outdated and basic however you can't use overrides. It must be the Jomres way.





In conclusion, I was not impressed at all and I'm not recommending it.



If I can't take advantage of all the Joomla extensions, if I can't easily change the design, if it's just a standalone booking system integrated in Joomla, I had to look somewhere else and I found it.
Owner's reply: You know, I really couldn't let this go without an answer :

>> Learning curve: it takes a long time to learn how it works,

Learning how it works is easy, it takes longer to leaverage the system to get the most out of it, pretty much like Joomla itself. I've been using Joomla for a long time, yet I'm still learning new stuff every time I use it.

>> adding businesses and

Adding businesses is easy, just the same as adding an article (except there's a few more inputs because, you know, articles don't have addresses and locations)

>> setting up rates is complex and confusing for a travel agent or a business owner compared to other booking systems.

We give you three different ways you can enter prices, meaning you can choose the easy-peasey lemon-squeezy way of doing things, or the more powerful methods that allow you to setup prices that match your real-world pricing models. It's been our mantra from the very first days nearly ten years ago that Jomres would try to work your way, not force you to work it's way. Whilst no system is ever perfect, it's much more flexible than most.

>> but it's more like a standalone booking system, it was built for Mambo and after integrated in Joomla and now also in Wordpress.

Jomres is an application that'll work alongside both Joomla and Wordpress, it's something we're very proud of. You may see that as a disadvantage, we don't.

>> As a result, you should manage Jomres from the frontend

This is one of the key selling features of the system, but you say it like it's a bad thing. From the beginning it's been designed to work from the frontend, making it easy for non-technical users to interact with your website. Look at our competition, you'll see that our nearest competitors are also developing the same type of functionality because That's. What. Users. Want.

>> and a very annoying additional menu is added to your website.

And, y'know, you could use the built-in functionality to disable some or all of that and use the Jomres joomla menu maker plugin to add menu links to whichever menu you like. It's easier and simpler than the way Joomla does it.

>> Conflicts with other plugins or extensions, since it's just integrated in Joomla there are several conflicts with plugins and other extensions.

This isn't true, I suspect you installed Jomres into Joomla 2.5 which, if you've been around for a while will know that it had a great flaw in that it relied on Mootools from the beginning, whereas it should have been integrated with jQuery. As a result when jQuery got popular there were all sorts of issues with different plugins having their own iterations of jQuery. We managed to kill that issue by namespacing jQuery for Jomres, but people will sometimes blame Jomres, regardless. Use the J3.x series, this becomes a non-issue in fact were the first (again!) Joomla booking component to embrace the J3.x series because we recognised the benefits an integrated UI framework brought to component developers and users.

>> The design is outdated and basic

As I said, I suspect you were running on J2.5. It was a great system in it's day but the Joomla 3 series is generations ahead. So if you were using a non-bootstrapped template then you would have used the older, jquery ui based Jomres templates which are left in for legacy reasons but are waaay ugly and we can't wait to get rid of them. We've done everything we can to encourage our users to use the more modern J 3.x, but of course you can only lead a horse to water...

>> however you can't use overrides. It must be the Jomres way.

We were doing template overrides long before Joomla realised that they were a good idea. The way Jomres does it 1. means that it can be done through the GUI, you don't have to use FTP if you don't want and 2. (and this is the biggie) you can have different templates for different property types, something you can't do if using the Joomla method. I'm not slating Joomla, I use it's overrides functionality too, but sometimes you have to go your own way to help your customers achieve the results they want. Oh, and 3. If you're a Wordpress user you also get cool template editing features that you don't get in other Wordpress plugins. Is Jomres awesome or what?

Nevertheless, for our Joomla users we've added a joomla-esque template override feature for the next version, so if that's their preferred way of doing things, then more power to their elbows.

>> At some point Jomres crashed the whole website during a version update. I've never experienced something like that.

You haven't been around long then, most plugins have had their bugs at one time or another, it's the nature of things. One thing I can say though is if we've ever introduced an issue like this we've never left a customer hanging. We don't stand still, we're always working on new ideas and new features for the system, it's something that we're very proud of, but innovation naturally has it's price. Unlike some of our competitors however, we're not willing to stand still.

>> Website will slow down and yes, even if I had a dedicated server.

Jomres is very, very optimised. It's something we work very hard at doing, however you can put a Ferrari engine in a Citroen 2CV, but it'll still be a 2CV at the end of the day. You can't polish a turd.

>> In conclusion, I was not impressed at all and I'm not recommending it.

Such is your right, however I couldn't let your incorrect conclusions go unanswered.

P.S. I know that as a developer you can't please all of the people all of the time, and you'd think that after 9 years of doing this I would have become immune to criticism, but that's not true. Jomres is a labour of love, I've poured my heart into it for such a long time it's hard to ignore ill-founded criticism. I can look at all of the positive reviews that Jomres has received, and yet one scathing review is still enough to spoil my week :(
No extensions found
No extensions found