I used this component on very different pages with Joomla 1.5.2; 1.5.3; 1.5.4; 1.5.6; 1.5.7; and now 1.5.8. So there is quite some experience I do have with it.
But, although I do very much appreciate the tremendeous work Walter Cedric there are some questions about it, which in part go to the Joomla! team rather than to Walter.
First of all, why on earth does Joomla! not contain this component! Every time we get a new release of Joomla!, it is recommended for security reasons to upgrade. This means, I will have to get the new patches from Walters SecurityImages too (they are quite a lot).
Everytime I do this It is the same procedure.
1. Override the original files
2. Test it - it does not work properly (mostly because some of the uploads do not work etc.
3. Download the files again and override it again.
4. After I have done this three or four times, it starts to work. But mostly not everything. So I have to go through all the files to find the faults. As I mentioned, I have got some experience and I do get it run everytime. But as some of the other mention here, there is no real tutorial here. Maybe Watler could create one, which one could buy?
5. After that, you'll have to fine tune it and finally it works great! Thanks Walter!!!
6. The newer the versions of Security Images go, the more Ads and links are put into the admin. I highly agree that the creator should have hers or his links and some ads, but it is definately overdone here. Once again, sorry do say that.
But as you might see, its a lot of hassle everytime I do upgrade Joomla which always runs smooth and this is in fact very sad, because the component is a good thing which keeps away spammers efficiently.
Pleaset Joomla! team: Make Captcha a part of Joomla!