Introduction

Communication, Forum, j4

Kunena is the leading Joomla forum component. Downloaded more than 8M times in 11 years, Kunena is the only forum/discussion solution for Joomla that is community driven - true open source - public self-help forums, GitHub and documentation Wiki.

The most recent stable release, recommended for production websites running J! 4.4/5.0/5.1, is Kunena 6.3.0

For websites running J! 3.10 there is Kunena 5.2.14

Details about changes in last release of Kunena 6.3 are contained in the release notes at https://www.kunena.org/blog

MAIN FEATURES:

• Build with jQuery, Bootstrap (2.x,3.x and 4.x) and Fontawesome 6
  • Uses CKeditor 4
  • Highly configurable
  • Upload attachments in Ajax with drag&drop support
  • Upload avatar in Ajax
  • Save moderation actions with log system and system error
  • Rate topic
  • Support polls in topic
  • Buit-in template installation support
  • Integration plugins to work with : AltaUserpoint, Community Builder, Jomsocial, Easyblog, Easyprofile, Easysocial, Uddeim and gravatar
  • Support in messages embded tweet, soundcloud, instagram and ebay
  • Support of openGraph
  • Support of microdata
I can't believe I've never written a review for this brilliant extension! We've been running Kunena to serve our community's forum needs for over a year now. Kunena replaced our aging (and crumbling) phpBB3 setup, which was becoming a nightmare to keep updated.

The first major benefit is the fact that Kunena is a Joomla extension. It's not a separate product which needs a bridge to keep the user profiles in sync. That fact alone was a God-send... keeping phpBB3 synchronized with Joomla was a constant chore.

Beyond that, Kunena comes with everything we need in a forum. When something is missing (like Private Message functionality), we can just add it with another extension (like uddeIM). It's super easy to upgrade, integrates perfectly with all the other extensions we use, and I've had nothing but excellent service from their support team.

In fact, I was so happy with Kunena, I ended up joining the team!

If you're looking to add a forum to your Joomla web site, avoid the headaches and pitfalls of a separate bridged forum software. Try out Kunena first and save yourself all kinds of time and effort.
The only thing that makes this extension noteworthy is its integration capabilities with Joomla and various other 3rd party extensions. Other than that, there are far better forum software packages out there. IMO, the Kunena Team (less Sozzled) is far too “big-headed” regarding the success of their product and does not take well to suggestions or criticism - and if you have a problem or expose a bug, it’s always your fault. In that regard, it’s like dealing with a utility company as they know they have the monopoly on Joomla! (v.1.6+) Forum software. What Joomla! needs more than Kunena is a viable competitor to help keep their heads out of the clouds.

Wonderful

Posted on 14 February 2012
I just started with the Kunena component and I must say that it is just perfect.

Thanks to the skinner.css file it is easy-peasy to embed it in an exsiting Jommla!-Template. Styling is quite easy and it works like a charm.

I am using this site for a social project and it is grat that this component is open source.

Thanks to all the developers.

Good, good job!

Rob van Linda
Great forum extension. It's easy to setup, but has a lot of options to customize different pieces. I looked at other solutions and bridges, but this extension gets it done and is much easier to setup and manage.

The extension also integrates seamlessly with CB. Upgrading has also been a breeze. Thanks!
Currently, Kunena is the only choice for joomla 2.5. It is very powerful and very rich. But his Achilles tendon is the users profile editor on frontend. There are a lot of incompatibility problems between some joomla templates and that profile editor. it can be solved easily, because some commercial templates kunena have removed this problem. But why not use a good default template for solves this problem once and for all. ? I think that kunena deserves it.

Sorry for my bad english

Kunena!

Posted on 28 January 2012
No.1 Forum component for Joomla, easy to install and integrates seamlessly with Joomla, Community Build or Jomsocial.

Five Stars!
While this isn't the easiest component to set up, once you get it going, its a great system. I found the hardest part was configuring the back end. After a few hours of tinkering though, I worked out all the bugs. The documentation is okay, but I rarely had to refer to it. I loved all the options and features that come out of the box for users on the forum. Most of my problems stemmed from a conflict with the built in captcha system. Since I had a captcha system already running in an ajax registration module, the captcha field wouldn't display on the forums. I ended up having to disable captcha in the forums in order to allow registered people to post. This wasn't too much of a concern since I already had spam protections for the registration process so I wouldn't consider this problem a deal breaker.
This software receives glowing reviews, but i found it very difficult to publish on my site. Spending 3 days trying to resolve publishing and menu conflict issues, redirect loops and other error messages.

I downloaded the latest version to run with Joomla 1.7.3.

Powerful and a Easy

Posted on 24 January 2012
A very powerful forum that is very easy to use, requires very little time to get working, looks great and your users will love it. At least that has been the case on my forum. I'm using version 1.7 and the integration with the latest version of JomSocial was painless.

My only wish is that the templates were modifiable from the backend when it comes to simple operations like header size. Also I wish there were more free templates to chose from but I'm sure that will come in time.

The support on the website seems quiet good and the communication is up to date from the moderators.

Nice bit of work.

Best!

Posted on 21 January 2012
Best forum component for Joomla!.

Take it, you won't regret it!
Kunena Latest
Free

Kunena Latest

By Kunena Team
Kunena extensions
The Kunena team is proud to release the latest version 6.0.7 of its ultra-flexible module for Kunena 6.2.x and Joomla! 4.x/5.x. Use this module to display the topics and posts of your Kunena forum with a wide variety of options (over 7,500 possible combinations!) to show off your forum content anywhere on your Joomla website. Add as many modules on a page as you like....
Kunena Login
Free

Kunena Login

By Kunena Team
Kunena extensions
The Kunena Team is proud to release version 5.2.2 of the Kunena Login module. This module replaces the default Joomla login module and gives you more flexibility and custom redirection. It's integrated with other popular extensions like JomSocial and Community Builder....
Kunena Stats
Free

Kunena Stats

By Kunena Team
Kunena extensions
The Kunena Team is proud to release version 6.0.4 of our discussion plug-in for Kunena 6.2.x0. The Kunena Statistics module enables you to display various statistics about your Kunena forum. You can display just about anything such as top posters, top polls, most thank yous, and much more....
Kunena Discuss
Free

Kunena Discuss

By Kunena Team
Kunena extensions
The Kunena Team is proud to release version 6.0.3 of our discussion plug-in for Kunena 6.2.x. The Kunena Discuss plug-in enables you to add comments functionality to your website. Users can comment on any section, category, or article just like any commenting system, but user comments and discussions are stored in your Kunena forum (though displayed on your articles). Now you can have all of your...
Kunena Search
Free

Kunena Search

By Kunena Team
Kunena extensions
The Kunena Team is proud to release version 6.0.3 of the Kunena Search module for Kunena 6.2. This module enables you to add a search box in any module position. The search box searches your Kunena forum....

Kunena

Version:
Developer:
Kunena Team
Last updated:
Apr 24 2024
3 weeks ago
Date added:
Feb 02 2009
License:
GPLv2 or later
Type: