In this new version I have added a whole new set of features and also streamlining the code.
The features supported by the SmartIcons 2.0 are:
* Full support for Joomla! 3.0
* Quick and simple installation using a script that does all the heavy lifting.
* Make as many shortcuts to internal components and external sites. Makes administering your site easier and quicker.
* Shortcuts can have text, images or icons in any combination.
* Option to use images or Joomla!'s "iconMoon" icons for shortcut image.
* Links can be opened in the same window or new windows or in Joomla!'s modal windows
* Preview of the shortcut is possible before saving it.
* Uses Joomla! ACL system for managing access to both shortcuts and shortcut categories with the possibility of skipping access checks altogether
* Uses the Joomla update system
* Group shortcuts into categories that show up as tabs in the module.
* Custom links can be created for special needs (insertion of the user id or security token)
* Supports two layout types:
* Grid layout - as in the older Joomla! QuickIcon module
* List layout - as in Joomla 3.0
* Support for QuickIcon plugin with different options of displaying the plugin shortcuts.
To improve this extension, it would be great to also adjust the Joomla! update and Extension update icons as well as the JCE File Browser.
I looked at other icon modules and extensions, but the big drawback was that these did not provide an option to open the links in a new window.
This component has it all: very customisable, even makes use of the ACL in Joomla so that individual items can be assigned to different groups. Very useful and this will be built into all my future sites.
If I have one wish, I would be pleased if Bogdan could add a popup uption (lightbox, maybe?), so that the content is shown on site but in a defined size popup.
Even so, a great little component and at 5 euros a real snip!
I only had a problem and solved smoothly.
I'm a Spanish user and icons do not accept accents or ñ, i send an email to the developer and in two days I had a new version with this problem fixed.
Highly recommended for those who wish to work with Joomla and custom panels for their customers or to those who need custom handling many shortcuts.
After having purchased SmartIcons my problems were solved - almost. I contacted the developer and he responded in a flash with a functional change that solved my problem completely.
This is a fantastic little enhancement to Joomla's admin panel and well worth the few $$ it costs to support the dev so 5 stars all the way.
Keep up the good work Bogdan and thanks!
This package is well worth the few pounds it cost. It seems well written and does the job its designed to do. Cant give it any higher praise than "excellent".
This is simple to use and allows you control over selecting your own icons and formatting the text including opening a task in another window.