Let your users be part of a group and communicate by email without having to log into your Joomla site. Any mail send to the mailing list email address is forwarded to the rest of the members of the group.
- For Group communication and newsletters
- Usable with any POP3/IMAP email account
- Recipients are managed by the admin in the backend
- Users can (un)subscribe with frontend plugin or module (optional)
- All Joomla users can be chosen as recipients, additional users can be stored
- Users can be organized in groups
- Single users or whole groups can be added as recipients of a mailing list
- Replies to mailing list posts can be forwarded to all recipients
- Mail archive for browsing the mails
- Full support of HTML emails and attachments
- Seamless installation: all plugins are included and are installed automatically
- English, German, French, Italian, Danish, Japanese and Slovenian translation included
- many more features
Designed for all...
- users that are tired of group messaging systems that require another login
- users who want to communicate with their favourite mail client
- admins that are tired of updating personal details on different systems
- admins who want to be able to use users within Joomla as recipients of a mailing list
------------ Changelog ------------
Version 0.4.0 (18.08.2013)
- Compatibility with Joomla 3.0 and 3.1
- Italian translation added
- Blocked/bounced mail view available in free edition as well
- Complete mail queue can be cleared
- GUI enhancements, performance optimizations and 5 bug fixes
Version 0.3.8 (22.02.2013)
- Personalize emails with new text variables for recipient name and email
- Add user to Mailster group when subscribing through subscriber plugin or module
- 3 more translations added (Danish, Slovenian, Japanese)
- Email attachments are stored in a configurable folder
Note that this version has limitations (e.g. max. 50 recipients per list) compared to our commercial product Mailster Professional. Find a full feature comparison list over here: http://www.brandt-oss.com/products/mailster/features
The extension itself is easy to set up and offers a lot of features.
This is a great extension, which I highly recommend.
I had an issue with one of my clients, it was taking a considerable amount of time to get all the emails sent to their full recipient list. A couple of email responses from Holger later (same day) and I had the full process down to under 10 seconds. Was purely poor configuration choices on the client’s part, component worked perfectly.
1) If you need a simple yet powerful mailing list component integrated into Joomla’s/Community Builder’s user lists this is it.
2) Support is excellent
Mailster changes all that. It duplicates the capability of Mailman as a closed listserve and adds many more very useful (and kind of amazing) features:
1. It integrates tightly with Community Builder, so you only have one database of users. You no longer need to do painful user reconciliations between the group’s website and its listserve/mailing list.
2. You can add users, permanently or temporarily, to a mailing list who may not possess registered access to the website.
3. You can create as many mailing lists as you want, all from the same interface. This is useful in my client’s case for subgroups of lawyers who might be collaborating on a project.
4. The archives are immediately available on the front and back ends, and are searchable both with a Mailster search and a Joomla full-site search. Attachments appear in the archives (unlike Mailman, which drops them), and they are likewise searchable. This is huge. It means that all the information the group shares is available on the website and easily found either by search or using the menu items for the mailing list front-end archives. A list view and threaded view are both available.
5. Archives for multiple mailing lists can all be set up to be viewed on the website, each with their own menu item or all combined. Using Mailster’s user group tools and Joomla ACL, you can restrict archives to a subgroup of users.
6. Even a complete Mailman archive (but even better, including attachments) can be integrated on a website using Mailster. If you want to keep a Mailman list active, you can set up a public mailing list (perhaps with a complex, non-guessable email address) in Mailster with just one recipient, and list the complex address of that mailing list as a user on the Mailman list. That way, Mailman will send its emails to Mailster, which will incorporate the archive on your website (including attachments). The archive can be viewable by registered users only if you choose. (Note: Mailster is not a "Plugin" solution for Mailman, and imports no existing data from Mailman.)
7. There are lots of possibilities beyond even that. Many of us have clients that are terrified of adding something to a website. But they’re not terrified of email. You could set up mailing lists in Mailster by functional category and give each of them a separate email address. Users who email something to that address will find the contents of that email in the website archives for that category’s email address. This is not the same as Joomla categories … you can’t email an article to a category. But functionally, it gets pretty close to being able to do just that.
I think of Mailster as a flexible bridge between (1) the email interface that everyone is used to and (2) your website, a group’s listserve, specialized mailing lists, and the searchable content of the website itself. It’s a wonderful tool.
One other note: Holger, the primary developer, is extremely knowledgeable, professional and responsive. If you need clear and fast help, you’ll get it. But get Mailster Pro … it’s worth it and necessary to do much of the above!
I was able to install this fairly quickly and got it up and running with the helpful manual that came with this. Ran perfectly the first time out and I even had a rapid response from the developers when I needed to extend the use of the product to interact with Community Builder - using multi-check boxes to create mailing groups. All my requests were handled quickly and to my full satisfaction. Excellent service and excellent product!
One thing which puzzles me, the time shown is very odd, not corresponding to any time scheme I know of. The date is right. However the option to take the time out of the email is a help.
Thank you for your excellent review!
You do have the option to format the date/time format as you like - there is an option for that in the component's configuration.
Installation was fairly easy, although I found the server options a bit over-complicated, and it worked first time. It took a while to find all the appropriate settings, but the process was fairly painless.
I can see one major problem--the lack of full integration with the Joomla user list. Subscription seems to default to the user's registered email, but this can be changed at subscription time. If the user subsequently changes email address, this does not update Mailster's address, and they get out of sync. Finally, removing a user does not remove it from the mailing list.
Otherwise, this is a very good extension, and I would recommend it for simplicity of operation.
Thank you for your review!
We fixed the user synchronization issues in the 0.3.8 release.
In case you come across any other problems do not hesitate to contact us.
One thing drove me crazy for a few hours: if you manage a site through httpS and Chrome, be sure to allow Insecure Content to be loaded, otherwise many functions misbehave.