Let your users be part of a group and communicate by email without having to log into your Joomla site. Any mail send to the mailing list email address is forwarded to the rest of the members of the group.
- For Group communication and newsletters
- Usable with any POP3/IMAP email account
- Recipients are managed by the admin in the backend
- Users can (un)subscribe with frontend plugin or module (optional)
- All Joomla users can be chosen as recipients, additional users can be stored
- Users can be organized in groups
- Single users or whole groups can be added as recipients of a mailing list
- Replies to mailing list posts can be forwarded to all recipients
- Backend mail archive for browsing the mails
- Full support of HTML emails and attachments
- Seamless installation: all plugins are included and are installed automatically
- English, German and French translation included
Designed for all...
- users that are tired of group messaging systems that require another login
- users who want to communicate with their favourite mail client
- admins that are tired of updating personal details on different systems
- admins who want to be able to use users within Joomla as recipients of a mailing list
------------ Changelog ------------
Version 0.3.8 (22.02.2013)
- Personalize emails with new text variables for recipient name and email
- Add user to Mailster group when subscribing through subscriber plugin or module
- 3 more translations added (Danish, Slovenian, Japanese)
- Email attachments are stored in a configurable folder
Version 0.3.7 (20.05.2012)
- Option for welcome and goodbye messages on subscribe and unsubscribe
- Unsubscibing can be disabled for individual mailing lists
- Enhanced profile plugin to allow assignments to mailing lists from the "My profile" view in the back-end
Version 0.3.6 (19.02.2012)
- Compatibility with Joomla 2.5
- Attachments do not cause a fatal error under Joomla 2.5
- Configuration options are also updated when Joomla's (progressive) caching is active
- Wrong configured log folders do not cause an error during the installation
- Profile Plugin takes care of updating email address in recipients list after a user changed it in front- or backend
Our site also offers the commercial component Mailster Professional. You do not need register/pay to use this (free) Mailster version.
Installation was fairly easy, although I found the server options a bit over-complicated, and it worked first time. It took a while to find all the appropriate settings, but the process was fairly painless.
I can see one major problem--the lack of full integration with the Joomla user list. Subscription seems to default to the user's registered email, but this can be changed at subscription time. If the user subsequently changes email address, this does not update Mailster's address, and they get out of sync. Finally, removing a user does not remove it from the mailing list.
Otherwise, this is a very good extension, and I would recommend it for simplicity of operation.
Thank you for your review!
We fixed the user synchronization issues in the 0.3.8 release.
In case you come across any other problems do not hesitate to contact us.
One thing drove me crazy for a few hours: if you manage a site through httpS and Chrome, be sure to allow Insecure Content to be loaded, otherwise many functions misbehave.
Thank you for your review.
We are of course always interested in improving Mailster. As we have problems reproducing the issue you describe we would be glad if you can contact us (please use the contact form on our site) so that you can help us identify the root cause. Thanks!
As a test I first installed the free version and set up a simple list. It worked first time and the documentation to help with the install and set up was excellent! I was so impressed that I have now paid for the pro version as our list is 250 long but to be honest, the 49EUR is worthwhile for the other addon features alone in my opinion.
I've used Mailster's non-commercial version for more than a year, and recently purchased the Pro version to accommodate a couple of larger lists (over 50 subscribers) and provide some other functionality. Most functionality is identical in both, including everything mentioned in this review.
Options are broad, and seem to expand with each release. You can limit lists to registered site users, or allow visitors to subscribe. You can limit posters to specific individuals or subgroups, or allow every subscriber to post. A large number of message formatting and sending options as well.
As expected in a pre-1.0 release, a few edges are still rough. There's no way at present to send validating or welcoming emails to new subscribers. The only way to catch signup spam comes via a large-format Captcha; that works fine if you use the signup plugin, but doesn't fit well inside the signup module.
But these are small issues, and Holger's ultra-responsive support more than makes up for them. I found a small bug importing a CSV user file from a freestanding Mailman installation, and he had a fix in my Inbox about two hours later. It's not often that you see support like that.
This version is really easy to setup now and is working immediately. It really does what I wanted to get.
Mailster has fixed that and I can now have a discussion list with up to 1000 users! Also, it now has a subscription service for our newsletter.
Support was excellent as well with the couple of minor problems I had - and fast.
The current version is much improved compared to older versions, especially in a Mac-and-PC-Environment. The admin interface takes a little time to get used to, but once you get it, its really easy.
But the highlight is the support! Fast response time, extremely knowledgable and approachable developers!
I had an issue where it suddenly stopped working and mailed thier support. Holger got back very promply, and assisted me in a professional friendly manor. Turned out my provider was the culprit by changing the smtp port.
Thanks Guys for this awesome add on for Joomla.
At first I was disappointed. It was not usable in its current form. We were getting auto responders back to the list, there were discussion threading issues, and our clients were use to hitting "reply" to mail the person who posted and "reply to all" to reply to the list in general. This was not possible to do. But since it was a close solution we contacted the developer.
Holger was extremely helpful, very responsive and when we told him what we needed, he was able to implement changes quickly and integrate the features we needed to mimic Mailman.
We were able to get content filtering installed to prevent out of office autoresponders, the ability for the list email address to be put into cc field and today we installed the final fix which clears up the discussion threading issue. It is now working exactly how we need, is easy to set up new lists, and works like a charm.
Those who had negative things to say should take another look. It is a great product now, vastly improved over what it was just 30 days ago. Thanks to Holger for being so responsive.
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you could not get it working.
You could have, and still can, contact our support via contact form or email. That is what our "Contact a developer" webpage is all about - direct contact to the persons that know how the software works.
I am confident that we can solve your problem to your satisfaction, the other reviews certainly support this claim.
As of the uninstallation: we decided to not drop the database tables during uninstallation to avoid having users that unintentionally deleted their data during an upgrade. This is also expressed in the message that you misinterpreted as an error message.