- This extension requires registration to download.
- Nice, Clean, Responsive Layout.
- Nested categories
- Herachical folder structure : Unlike other files download extension using just one folder to store all files, EDocman allows you to put your files in a herachical folder structure (the folder structure is based on the categories structure which you setup - each category will have it's own folder to store files as state above).
- Multilingual support: If your site is multilingual, when you create categories, documents, you can assign them to a language. And when users browse categories, documents from front-end, only categories and documents assigned to that language (or all languages) will be displayed.
- Documents management : EDocman allows you to create documents and then your site users (public or registered users) can browse and download these documents from front-end.
- Front-end documents uploading / management .
- Local / remote files support : Your documents can be stored on your local server or on a remove server. In case your documents are stored on a remote server, you will just need to enter url of the document when creating new document.
- Powerful and Flexible permission system:
+ Using Powerful Joomla 1.6, Joomla 1.7, Joomla 2.5 ACL feature.
+ Permission can be setup in Component Level , Category Level or Document Level.
+ Permission can be inherited in the following structure Component Level >> Category Level >> Sub Categories >> Documents.
+ You can even only give one or several users to access to a category or document by entering ID of these users into User IDs field when creating category/document.
- Indexer plugin allows indexing PDF and Word documents and make it searchable based on content of these documents.
- RSS integration
- Tags support
- Security : All your documents are protected and users cannot download them even they know the direct link to the document.
- Search module allows searching documents based on keyword and category.
First, it looks better. For my taste Edocman css looks better.
Second, it is much faster. For example, bulk import 100 documents into both would result 5 seconds for Edocman, 20-30 seconds for DocMan. Both does the job without any problems, both stable but the joomdonation extension is faster.
Third, it offers more options, Edocman is more refined, let's say more accomplished and offers better modules. At the moment DocMan doesn't have a module for the "Most popular document" or "Most downloaded document" but Edocman does. I don't really understand why these modules were not available for Docman, but they informed me that these are on the way. Pity, they aren't available now.
All in all, both extensions are good very good, most importantly they are all rock-solid, runs without problems but for me Edocman suits better.
And one more thing: Tuan is really helpful, gave me a hand when I needed support and fixed the issue which was not an issue but I didn't know how to setup the component well. Thank you Tuan.
Ecocman is that extension.
It has brought order and simplicity to the end users and made my life simple as well.
Tuan has done a good job on documenting the product and where my feeble mind didn't wrap all the way around how to get something to work, he immediately jumped in and fixed the problem. Best of all, user suggestions are not brushed off since he realizes that end user requests point the way to developing killer capabilities.
Recommend it highly.
Tuan, the guy in charge, is very helpful and will answer any support ticket in 24-48 hrs.
Even with basic understanding of Joomla this component is very simple to use. For us, as "old" docman users, this component can surely be compared with it !
Keep up the good work Joomdonation !
I found some small and some bigger bugs during my test period.
Also i had some special requirements where i came to my end of php skills.
In situations like this i added a support ticket and as far as i saw there is only one person behind Joomdonation. That means that you have to wait a bit, answers wont come in 5 minutes but in 1-2 days which is ok. The solution was very comfortable, i explained the problem, forwared ftp access and after some days the problem was fixed.
Edocument was the only solution for me which offered a very nice, easy to handle permission system. Now i am able to offer every customer specific files, stand alone from other customers. The system is very easy to handle so that also unskilled colleagues are able to handle it. For that its necessary that they have access with a lower permission to assign docs to specific users.
Excepting this point, extension is working now since 2 month without any problems, I would recommend if you have little time to spend on it.
They offered to make all the migration between document management extensions by entering in source and destination server, and had the job done in 24 hours.
Very recommended extension and really superb support!
Than I had a compatibility problem with a popular social Joomla extension and not able to make eDocman work properly.
To be honest, I don't know why there is compatibility issue between EDocman and the extension you mentioned because they are two independent extensions. Shouldn't you contact us for support before writing the review? Could you please go to http://joomdonation.com/support-tickets.html, submit a support ticket so that I can help you to check and solve the problem right away?
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.