- This extension requires registration to download.
- Nice, Clean, Responsive Layout.
- Nested categories
- Herachical folder structure : Unlike other files download extension using just one folder to store all files, EDocman allows you to put your files in a herachical folder structure (the folder structure is based on the categories structure which you setup - each category will have it's own folder to store files as state above).
- Multilingual support: If your site is multilingual, when you create categories, documents, you can assign them to a language. And when users browse categories, documents from front-end, only categories and documents assigned to that language (or all languages) will be displayed.
- Documents management : EDocman allows you to create documents and then your site users (public or registered users) can browse and download these documents from front-end.
- Front-end documents uploading / management .
- Local / remote files support : Your documents can be stored on your local server or on a remove server. In case your documents are stored on a remote server, you will just need to enter url of the document when creating new document.
- Powerful and Flexible permission system:
+ Using Powerful Joomla 1.6, Joomla 1.7, Joomla 2.5 ACL feature.
+ Permission can be setup in Component Level , Category Level or Document Level.
+ Permission can be inherited in the following structure Component Level >> Category Level >> Sub Categories >> Documents.
+ You can even only give one or several users to access to a category or document by entering ID of these users into User IDs field when creating category/document.
- Indexer plugin allows indexing PDF and Word documents and make it searchable based on content of these documents.
- RSS integration
- Tags support
- Security : All your documents are protected and users cannot download them even they know the direct link to the document.
- Search module allows searching documents based on keyword and category.
This extension has a great front end presence. It's easy to upload documents and there are helpful modules to show you popular documents, whats trending and different views to display files. The back end allows a solid configuration and allows you to select files from your local joomla directory. That way you can FTP files and save yourself time.
I ran into an issue with one of my installs and the developer got back to me same day. The solution he provided worked and I couldn't be happier.
As I learned after contacting the developer, the two extensions can be, and are, complementary. He also helped with the peculiarities of my particular BSD server...
I have only been testing and the results are very promising.
Finally, and most importantly, the developer is accessible, knowledgeable, and extremely helpful. As of now, I give these two extensions 5 star ratings!
First, it looks better. For my taste Edocman css looks better.
Second, it is much faster. For example, bulk import 100 documents into both would result 5 seconds for Edocman, 20-30 seconds for DocMan. Both does the job without any problems, both stable but the joomdonation extension is faster.
Third, it offers more options, Edocman is more refined, let's say more accomplished and offers better modules. At the moment DocMan doesn't have a module for the "Most popular document" or "Most downloaded document" but Edocman does. I don't really understand why these modules were not available for Docman, but they informed me that these are on the way. Pity, they aren't available now.
All in all, both extensions are good very good, most importantly they are all rock-solid, runs without problems but for me Edocman suits better.
And one more thing: Tuan is really helpful, gave me a hand when I needed support and fixed the issue which was not an issue but I didn't know how to setup the component well. Thank you Tuan.
Ecocman is that extension.
It has brought order and simplicity to the end users and made my life simple as well.
Tuan has done a good job on documenting the product and where my feeble mind didn't wrap all the way around how to get something to work, he immediately jumped in and fixed the problem. Best of all, user suggestions are not brushed off since he realizes that end user requests point the way to developing killer capabilities.
Recommend it highly.
Tuan, the guy in charge, is very helpful and will answer any support ticket in 24-48 hrs.
Even with basic understanding of Joomla this component is very simple to use. For us, as "old" docman users, this component can surely be compared with it !
Keep up the good work Joomdonation !