1. Categories management:
- Skyline Downloads Pro allows you to create unlimited categories. One of the greatest features is when you change the setting, it will apply to main and all sub-categories. In general, the sub-categories permission inherited from parent categories. In the case of conflicting with parent categories or component settings, it will be indicated by not allowed.
- All properties assigned to a category (permissions, metadata, templates, etc.) remain after copying or moving. However, you can edit the category in its new location and adjust as you needed.
2. Document management:
- Skyline Downloads Pro is not only helpful and powerful in managing documents but also in sharing a huge amount of document files. You can add metadata: title, alias, selected category, status, featured or not, ordering, language, short and full description to every document. It’s very easy to add, edit or remove document files and document images.
- You can add an image and note for each category and document. Furthermore, it’s simple to set meta description and meta keywords by making an optional paragraph in or a comma-separated list of key words, phrases. These will be used as the description of the page in the HTML output and generally display in the results of search engine.
- Compatible with Joomla 2.5 and other later versions of Joomla.
- Documents can be organized across infinite categories and subcategories.
- Categories show clearly by title, alias, status, description, setting access level to allow which user can view it.
- Nice theme. With the template engine, it's easy to make a new template that inherited from default theme.
- Displaying download items sorted by name, date modified, most recent, most downloads.
- Setting permissions to access, download, rate or comment on each document.
- Useful tooltips in every single step to guide you easily.
- Editing metadata to improve Search Engine Optimization.
- Can add multiple files to a document.
- Support remote url.
- Can add multiple images to gallery of document.
- Integrate with multibox to display the gallery.
- Integrate with JComments.
- Ajax rating system.
I have used some of the competitors (Remository, PhocaDownload, and jDownloads) but none of them really met the demands of a new site that I am working on. After reading through the description and favourable reviews of Skyline, I thought that it might be worth trying for $25.
When I first installed it and ran it, the software reported an error. It was nothing serious - a deprecated command in one of the licence functions. I was able to find and fix this myself, but it wasn't a great start.
Overall, this component doesn't really offer anything more than any of its free competitors and certainly didn't meet the needs of the site that I'm trying to produce. I would caution anyone thinking of paying good money for this to have a serious look at one of the other packages first.
It seems that the service provided by Skyline is pretty good. I haven't bothered with it because I was able to fix the problem myself, but if you're not familiar with PHP, it may be worth paying something to get help when something goes wrong.
However, I've always found the non-commercial suppliers to be very helpful when there are problems so, for most people, I'm afraid I really wouldn't recommend paying for this package.
The installation was easy, so the "documents" handling.
I had a minor problem at the list view for downloads. After contacting the support team the bug was fixed in no time. Now the Skyline Download pro extension works exactly as I want.
Summary: Excellent download extension, excellent support !