sh404sef also includes many security features.
sh404SEF® id the most popular and longest developed Joomla seo extension. We are dedicated, full-time Joomla professionals who work each and every day to bring you the very best extensions and prompt support. Our staff have over 20 years of combined experience with Joomla (and Mambo) and we maintain some of the longest, continually developed Joomla add-ons available.
* sh404SEF rewrites Joomla URL to user-friendly format (SEF URL or URL rewriting): mysite.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=69&id=34
* NEW: Google Analytics Universal support
* NEW: Google Tags manager support
* NEW: full support for Google rel="prev" and rel="next" header tags, to improve SEO of paginated content
* NEW: built in caching database layer, can speed up sh404SEF and Joomla database operation. Backed by memcache, APC, etc
* Create and insert Open Graph data
quickly and easily add social media buttons to your entire site to allow sharing on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.
* Integrated Google Analytics including support for social sharing
* Automatically generate tiny URLs (shURLs) for your content
* Full urls and bulk meta data management
* Easily redirect 404s to suggested SEF URLS
* Instantly add global support for canonical URLs (add rel="canonical" HTTP headers)
* Remove duplicate URLs, a common problem with Joomla websites
* Create human ear and search engine friendly (SEF) URLs
* Control URL re-write mode on a per-application basis
* Support for Google News URL format
* Easily customize the page title and page description with bulk updater
* Create customized error pages (i.e. 404) with relevant links and other info
* Harden against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS)
* Harden against malicious page requests
* Limit flooding attacks
* Protect input forms such as the contact page from spam (using Project Honey Pot)
* Control site access from suspicious domains (using IP address whitelisting and blacklisting)
We Support many third-party SEF plugins via the standard Joomla installer.
Components we support natively include: VirtueMart, K2, FlexiContent, Kunena, Jomsocial, Community Builder, mosetsTree and more.
URL management: standard Joomla SEF and .htaccess give the same result.
Alias management and 404 request: standard Joomla redirection manager does a good job too
shURL: usability not clear
Title & meta: makes it more complicated in Joomla. Use standard Joomla functions in stead.
Analysis: never got it working in Joomla 3.2.2, support gave up about this item.
Safety: may be the only benefit, no experience with this though.
404 page: only works if you don't set one component to joomla router.
Social SEO: poorly implemented, alternative free extensions work better
Most functionality is already present in Joomla 3.2.2 or can be implemented with little effort. Added functions don’t work well, alternative free extensions work better. Safety may be the only benefit. Support could be better.
You do seem to have had a bad experience with sh404SEF, let me provide a bit more details at least on two extremely important things:
- "standard Joomla SEF and .htaccess give the same result" simply put: No
If you look superficially, yes, you get SEF urls with Joomla, and you get SEF urls with sh404SEF. But they are totally not the same, especially in keys SEO areas. sh404SEF are usually much shorter (no categories, or only one), much more to the point (no ids) but most importantly and I agree that's not easy to see: sh404SEF controls duplicate content on your site, while Joomla menu-based urls can only create duplicate content.
- support didn't give up on your issue with analytcs. You're one of two users with this problem. So far, we haven't managed to reproduced it on any of our servers, and we still don't know what's causing the problem, whether sh404SEF or not. Investigation is happening, and if the problem is with us, it'll be fixed.
On the lighter side:
- 404 page: yes, using Joomla router, you get Joomla! 404 page; using sh404SEF, you get sh404SEF page - which I do believe brings good marketing value to your site
- title and metas: a matter of taste and usage, I think. Many, many people prefer to have all meta data in one place, and the ability to override titles and description for multiple site pages on the same page
Most importantly, with sh404SEF, you specify metadata per URL, not per article, products, categories.
URLs are what's visible to search engines, not Joomla articles (see point 1 about menu-based urls used by Joomla)
- shUrl: not sure I understand your comment. sh404SEF provides a built in URL shortener, so that you don't have to rely on external service. Your site is doing the shortening, and so your urls are www.mysite.com/xc3 for instance.
We attempted to install sh404SEF AFTER the site was set up, operational, and we had been using the "redirect" plugin.
It absolutely DID NOT integrate well at all. None of the already programmed redirected urls worked...and there were just too many 404 pages coming up to be dealt with.
This program is one of those things "I wish I had installed before creating the rest of my website" because maybe then it would have worked...but as it stands, it does NOTHING for our site and we have uninstalled it completely.
Sorry for your bad experience. Indeed, installing ANY SEF extension after your site has launched and has been crawled by search engines requires some work.
Namely, those urls that are modified by the new extensions needs to be redirected to new ones.
That can be done either in a .htaccess file, or using sh404SEF built in redirection management.
However, I can already tell that from next version, sh404SEF will also check Joomla! own redirect manager database table in case some redirects have been stored there previously
Thanks and regards
The second you turn on the product, all knowledge that google and other search engines have of your site is essentially gone. All URLs that are correct the moment before you turn on the product will get 404s the moment you enable SEF URLs. The tool a "404 request manager" to show you all the 404s that your site is now generating, and allows you to do 301 redirects from each old page to each new page. But:
1. You have to do it one URL at a time. Each URL takes three clicks and then you have to wait for that one to complete before you can go on to another. If you have 100s of pages of content, you're going to be there a while.
2. The documentation mentions that you need to watch the 404 request manager, but it says that you should only be getting those if you have "bad links" or "update links," making it seem like it's your fault that you have them. It says nothing about all of the links in Google that are now bad because you just changed all your URLs.
They know each old page; they know each new page. What's stopping them from putting in a 301 redirect from each old one to each new one?
FWIW, I confirmed this behavior via support:
Thanks for you report. We have modified documentation to make the fact that URLs are modified - but this is kind of the point of getting a SEF extension! - clearer.
I do want to point out though that contrary to what you say, we have no idea what the old urls were, as they are made on the fly by Joomla and not store anywhere.
Whenever possible, we do try to auto-redirect from old to new, and that's enabled by default for sites previously using non-sef urls.
For sites running Joomla SEF urls, that's much more difficult because of high risks of "collision" between and is disabled by default, but can be enabled in configuration.
I posted information about the problem on the sh404SEF forum and had a response quickly. They continued to work with me until the issue was resolved.
Solid support from a professional team is always appreciated!
Very, very disappointing because this is clearly the most powerful SEF URL software available. Now I'm back to core Joomla SEF with article ID's in my URL's and not happy about it.
Flex Belt Reviews
The support doesn´t guide only like a french expression "passer la patate chaude".Always say if there is a module problem,website problem or something with problems.Nothing else.
Also once enabled the component, the site goes slow and the AJAX doesn´t work, for example with a filter.Simply doesn´t show the filtered items.
I´m disappointed with the component.
A support that works in this way is certainly a synonym of reliability.
I recommend it.
We bought it because we knew the product. It is easy to install on Joomla. It was easy to set up the parameters because they were the same. So it is difficult for us to give an opinion about that step. But the tabs are very easy to understand even for a beginner.
We created all the alias we needed to be compatible with the previous version. We did not see any problem.
Now the big THING: the support. Always present, quick and very useful.
We run a multilguage website. We had to setup it correctly. The support and especially Jimie helped us very quickly.
We had another big problem regarding the logo function. We bought a template to a specialized company. They said the problem was with SH404SEF. I subimtted the case to AnythingDigital. Finally after few days they came to me saying that they found a solution. But it was in the template. Could imagine that? They found a solution for a problem I had with the template.
So I warmly recommend SH404SEF for the product and for the support who is always present when you need it.
We also bought Jcalpro from Anything Digital. Also perfect.
We thank Jimie for his help and his professionalism.
Support sh404 Rather claim that it is to the customer to debug this problem in VM to see sh404 rewrites correctly?? Is it normal when you SELL the component to be VM compliant?
I contend that it is Sh404 to manage this problem with VM (joomla is a community or not?) to avoid this kind of problem to users, especially when it's a commercial component. There are bugs also when you move your site to https urls : the system has flaws that even a developer can not solve alone. So why display that is compatible with VirtueMart? Suffice to say the truth: sh404 did not take into account the constraints of the operating Virtuemart system to manage the re-writing urls.
For all the rest, this component is fine and perfect, but for those looking for a component to their online store with Virtuemart, it generates too much work and wasted time to properly manage your SEO.
The team says they never use the menu alias or menu title to generate URLs, but that is not true. There is a setting for category-blog and category-list which allows use of the menu alias or menu title to differentiate between blog pages and list pages. You can also specify a word or phrase in this case. I'm not saying this is bad, but if you have this turned on, you will be confused unless you are aware of it.
This is why my biggest complaint is poor documentation which gets this component a 4/5. They have a FAQ and there are videos to help you, and an online manual. The manual is out dated and nothing looks the same. How valid the information it contains is questionable. It appears to have been written for the Joomla 1.5 version. The FAQ is just that, some frequently asked questions. It may or may not be of use to you. The team points to the numerous tool tips as a help guide, but for me they were largely confusing and useless as far as setup goes. Your mileage may vary.
There are many things that need to be documented that I had trouble finding. Some of it is there, some not. Somewhere, they mention in passing almost, that URLs on pages need to be absolute and not relative. That means when you insert an image or site URL on a page, the URL for that item must begin with a slash. There's nothing that points out the issue you will have if this is not the case -- which is that your site may work, but you will find a 404 url for each of those items.
Site owners should not bypass setup and testing on a local machine. Get it working properly first and then move forward on your live site. I did not have this option as I was working with users in 4 different countries who all needed to be on the site and adding content while we worked toward a short deadline.
I'm not sure what to say about support. You're allowed to asked questions in a forum, but before you do, you have to copy paste individually about 10 fields from your Joomla Installation. It's a pain in the butt. I realize they are forcing people to take some action on their own, it is still a pain. For the price of the component, the support is okay.
Searching the forum may or may not get you an answer. In my case, I tried 4 to 5 searches for each of my problems and then gave up. Once the issue was solved, I tried again and was able to find the answers I needed, but their search function is poor. On one issue, after posting my question, I think I did find the answer while waiting for a response. It is time consuming.
sh404SEF seems to be a good, stable component. If the documentation was easy to use and up to date, I'd give this component 5 stars. As is, you'll spend a lot of time learning instead of just using.
A simple get started guide that walked you through the necessary settings, and then took you on a features walk through would be excellent.