You can even publish multiple feeds at the same time (meaning in the same module instance) and have them display combined!
The 'Simple RSS Feed Reader' module is based on the same feed parsing engine that powers JoomlaReader.com, the most popular Joomla! news aggregator in the Joomla! Community.
The feeds are stored inside your Joomla! site's cache folder and refreshed in a specific time interval, which you set in the module's parameters. This feed cache is different to Joomla!'s cache, as you may need to have your site refreshed every 5 minutes, but have the feeds the module retrieves stored longer than 5 minutes.
--- NOTABLE FEATURES ---
- one input box for feeds enables you to add unlimited feeds per module instance
- combine multiple feeds into one output list
- show or hide the first image inside each feed content
- extract and resize remote images for more layout control - we use Mobify's world class image resizing service for fast loading times and without stressing your server
- additional content options include pre-text, post-text and a custom link option at the bottom of the feeds block
- MVC templating is now standard, module comes pre-packed with 2 generic templates that will fit most sites - they also serve as a great starting point if you want to create your own
- one input box for feeds enables you to add unlimited sources to your module (previously limited to 20 feeds only per module instance).
- option to redirect all external feed links through your site's domain (slighly improves your SEO).
--- GETTING STARTED ---
After you install the module, add one or more feed sources in the related box under "Fetch Options" and simply adjust the "Feed Content Options" in the module parameters. Then publish into some module position.
--- STYLING ---
The module installs with 2 generic templates (default and compact), which should be sufficient for most websites. If you want more control, you can simply override both the generated HTML and CSS, using MVC template overrides within your Joomla! template. Or you can create new folders with new module templates inside your template's /html/mod_jw_srfr/ folder and just select the new ones in the module's parameters.
The compact template is inspired by http://joomlareader.com
--- DEMO ---
Demo for "default" sub-template: http://demo.joomlaworks.net (right column)
--- NOTE ON JOOMLA! 1.5 ---
If you're on Joomla! 1.5, you can still get v2.3 of the module in our site's product/download page of the module.
Keep up the good work.
"Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated"
on all the feeds.
This issue was raised over 6 weeks ago on the developer's forum by other users but it was left unanswered.
Upgrade to the newest version 3.x. Such warnings have been fixed.
Still, the extension did not do what it was supposed to - I was looking for a RSS feed reader which could retrieve set number of items for all specified feeds. This only shows feeds from last added feed. There are several support requests on their support forum regarding this as well. And none of the support requests regarding this problem was answered.
Easy to uninstall too.
You probably misconfigured the module. Actually, what makes this module great is the fact it combines multiple feeds into one output. Just make sure you set how many items to fetch per feed AND overall. If you retrieve 10 items per feed and your feed total is also 10, then if one of your feed sources is more often updated, it will show up first (since everything is sorted by date).
This RSS Feed Reader worked first shot out of the box, Podcast and Blog posts showed up beautifully and with a few settings, I was VERY happy with the result.