A real Two Step Verification system for Joomla!
Security experts agree that the first step to securing your site against unauthorized access is using a second step during the login process. Joomla 3.2 and later offer Two Factor Authentication which requires you to enter a security code along with your password to log into your site. However, Two Factor Authentication is susceptible to spoofing attacks. Moreover it does not let you use any second factor which is not a text code known to you before you login.
The solution to that is Two Step Verification. You login with just your username and password. However, at this point, you have a "captive login" and you cannot use the site unless you provide your second authentication factor. This could be a text code generated by Google Authenticator like what Joomla already allows, or something impossible to use with core Joomla such as a text code sent to you by SMS or push notification or even a secure hardware token following the FIDO U2F (Universal Second Factor) standard. After providing and validating the second factor your login becomes full features and you can use the site. This is very much like what Google does when you try to login to GMail; or what happens when you log into GitHub; or how Apple handles login to iCloud.
Akeeba LoginGuard currently supports the following second factors:
* Authenticator App (Google Authenticator, Authy, 1Password etc)
* U2F (any USB or NFC token following the U2F protocol will do, including the cheap Amazon ones)
* Pushbullet (only with a paid PushBullet account)
* SMS Text Message (you need a paid subscription to the supported SMS service; read the documentation)
* Fixed Code (ONLY FOR DEMONSTRATION - this is the same as using a password; don't use on production sites)
This extension is brought to you by the same people who wrote Joomla's Two Factor Authentication feature.
- Akeeba Ltd
- Last updated:
- Mar 09 2018
- Date added:
- Mar 06 2018
- GPLv2 or later
- Free download
Ease of use