In short, the most important features of the service are realtime comments, inline media embedding, mobile commenting, social integration with Twitter, Facebook & other services and great moderation & anti-spam tools.
You can learn more about all Disqus features at: http://disqus.com/features
Signup for a free account at: http://disqus.com
--- WHY CHOOSE DISQUS? HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DISQUS COMMENT SYSTEM ---
Web comments can be difficult for both websites and their readers. We think Disqus is the solution. Disqus makes it easier for people to comment and track their contributions on a single profile which they can display as a comment blog. After all, there is no difference between a great comment and a great published article.
Disqus makes managing discussions on one or multiple websites painless. With a powerful and intuitive admin interface, Disqus allows website owners to spend time elsewhere while Disqus takes care of the comments.
Key benefits for Websites, Publishers, Bloggers
* Threaded comments and comment ratings
* Powerful moderation and admin tools
* Filter out spam, trolls, and unwanted commenters
* Enable your visitors to become a real community
* Moderation by email or mobile
* More comments and increased engagement
* Connected with a large discussion community
* Increased exposure and readership
Key benefits for Commenters, Readers
* Track and manage comments and replies
* Verified commenter reputations across sites
* More control over your own comments on websites
* Never lose your comments, even if the website goes away
* Build a global profile, or comment blog, to collect and show off what you're saying
* Easier to comment on websites using Disqus
* Reply to comments through email or mobile
* Edit and republish comments with one click
--- EXTENSION FEATURES ---
- Options for comments counter/anchor link for listing and article pages
- Choose to integrate Disqus comments in specific categories and/or menu items
- Neutral design for easy integration on any template design. Use CSS for total design control: http://bit.ly/disqusStyling
- Fully MVC skinnable. Just copy the /plugins/content/jw_disqus/tmpl folder (in Joomla! 1.5) or /plugins/content/jw_disqus/jw_disqus/tmpl (in Joomla! 2.5+) inside your Joomla! template's /html folder, rename to /html/jw_disqus and start tweaking the HTML and CSS!
- Option for testing Disqus comments plugin locally before going live.
Enjoy one more fine release from JoomlaWorks!
Induces errors in other modules (like a lot of other modules) - the ones from Egolt, LandofCoder, Extra Vote, including their own other extension JW AllAideos!!!
My site was crippled in an instant, installed another Disqus plugin from this list, Simple Disqus Comments and it worked fine out of the box.
You are probably confusing errors with PHP notices. The extension works just fine in Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and 3.x.
Even if there was some valid bug, saying it didn't work without providing a link to some forum post or your site isn't really helpful by the way...
You can actually skin the comments box on your site using CSS. Disqus has an extensive walk-through on how to achieve that here: http://help.disqus.com/customer/portal/articles/545277-disqus-appearance-tweaks
Unfortunately, support from Joomlaworks is non-existent. For that reason we will be uninstalling it and looking for something else.
Commenters can log in via twitter, Facebook, Google+, and others but if they already have an account on your site, they can't just use their credentials from that to post. It doesn't make sense to me.
That question applies to Disqus (the service) and the short answer is that, being a web service, it's not meant to integrate that deeply into Joomla!. E.g. it's got benefits (like the anti-spam features) which could never be implemented into a Joomla! commenting system.
Now if I could only to figure out why disqus is above my social sharing buttons.