The powerful award-winning content extension for Joomla with more than 4 million downloads (and counting)!
WHAT IS K2?
K2 provides an out-of-the box integrated solution featuring rich content forms for items (think of Joomla articles with additional fields for article images, videos, image galleries and attachments), nested-level categories, tags, comments, a system to extend the item base form with additional fields (similar to CCK for those acquainted with Drupal or ACF in WordPress), a powerful plugin API to extend item, category and user forms, ACL, frontend editing, sub-templates & a lot more!
Using K2, you can transform your Joomla website to a news/magazine site with author blogs, product catalogs, work portfolio, knowledge base, download/document manager, directory listing, event listing & more, all this bundled under one package!
Give K2 a try & you'll instantly love it! It's easy to use and fun to develop websites with! If you need any help or want to contribute to the project, join us at the K2 community.
Since K2 is extensible with additional fields to its base item form, you can easily create category-specific content types, e.g. article, blog post, product page, directory listing.
K2 offers as standard:
- Nested-level categories
- Distinct item image (useful for articles/catalogs), generated in 6 configurable dimensions by default to allow precise image size loading for your site's frontpage, categories/tags etc., side modules and items.
- Image galleries
- User pages (author blogs/user profiles)
- Commenting, integrated with Google's reCaptcha & Akismet
- Smart ACL for frontend editing
- Unique plugin system to extend item, category & user forms
- AJAX based frontend editing & comments moderation
- Rest-like JSON/JSONP/RSS/Atom content output
- Native advanced SEF options
- Google Structured Data built-in
- Facebook OpenGraph & Twitter Cards support
- Built-in media manager
- 100% mobile-friendly backend user interface - a joy to edit your content on-the-go
- Total options control, with minimal hassle. Instead of configuring category options over and over, use K2's category option inheritance to allow one category to inherit all options of another category! Or create categories that act as "configuration templates" for other categories (e.g. one set for news/blog posts, another for products, a third for events and so on) and assign them to groups of categories.
- The most advanced, yet easiest to use templating system (with multiple template override sets) to create any type of content you want - the true power of K2!
- Secure & robust by design. In its nearly 14 year history (as of Jan 2023), K2 has only had low priority vulnerabilities you can count in just one hand, which were swiftly addressed. Just search for "K2" in the Joomla Vulnerable Extensions List (VEL - https://extensions.joomla.org/vulnerable-extensions/resolved/) to verify directly.
- K2 aims for stability and strong backwards compatibility with regular incremental improvements & fixes. No "move fast and break things" mentality here.
K2 integrates fully with the Joomla API, which means any third-party Joomla plugins will function properly within the K2 component & modules, either in the frontend or backend.
Pixeden, Groupama, Harvard, High Court of Australia, Amnesty International, Arturia are just some of the thousands of top Joomla sites around the world, fully powered by K2.
K2 also significantly outperforms the default Joomla article system in any real-world configuration, especially in high-traffic scenarios like media/news sites.
K2 is currently compatible with Joomla versions 1.5, 2.5 & 3.x on servers running PHP versions 5, 7 & 8.
Starting January 2023, K2 is provided in a rolling release development model by default. These rolling releases are identified by their build number/date. Point releases will still be used for reference, so it's easy for example to define compatibility with current Joomla & PHP versions. You can read more about these changes here: https://getk2.org/blog/k2-v2-11-rolling-releases-joomla-4-and-more
A version for Joomla 4 is planned for H1 2023. Please excuse the delay in shipping K2 for Joomla 4, however the significant UI changes in Joomla 4 (over any other previous release) require a nearly 100% rework of the K2 UI as well.
DEPENDENCIES & LICENSE
To utilize the built-in media & gallery features you need to install AllVideos (free) & Simple Image Gallery Pro, both provided by JoomlaWorks.
K2 is developed by JoomlaWorks & licensed under the GNU/GPL license.
Try K2! Install it, hit the "import" button to bring your Joomla articles inside K2, start playing with the component to see the flexibility it provides first-hand. Moreover? You no longer need a dozen of components & even more modules/plugins to do things like run a news site or a blog.
Visit the K2 Community website: getk2.org